Options

reoverying email / serial # for Office 2003

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Previous post folks offered suggestions to get a laptop drive back and working. Well none of those worked and now it is being accessed as a usb portable drive. I need to be able to pull the Office 2003 registration number from the drive and get the emails back as well.

I have tried using Magic Jelly Bean, but that pulls the serial # to whatever computer the drive is attached to if that machine also has office on it. It also will not display when connected to a non office loaded machine.

I've done a search on the drive for the .pst files, but says they do not exist.

Open to suggestions

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Do you know where to look for the .pst files? Assuming the user didn't create their own and place them in another location, make sure you're able to view hidden folders, then look in C:\Documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook.

As for retrieving the MS Office serial number...I don't know. If you're trying to move it to another machine, why not just install a copy of Office onto the machine, then move over the serial number with the method you mentioned?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you tried doing a repair installation over the top of what's there? The key is stored in the registry, but it's encrypted, which is why you need something like Magic Jellybean. Maybe you could export that to another machine that doesn't have office and run Magic Jellybean on that to see if it could pull it off. Here is where it's located: How to change the product key for Office XP, for Office 2003, and for the 2007 Office system

Have you included hidden files and folders in your search? I believe they're in \local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Belarc Advisor also works for pulling keys, but you do have to have the system up in order to run it and pull OS/software keys.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Update - Tried several Outlook recovery tools, none could find the pst file I needed. Finally found "Recovery Toolbox" and 49.99 later it found and recovered all the files. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Have you tried setting USB as your hard disk of top priority to start up on in BIOS? Just curious if you tried that... I do see you're fixed atm.