Options

IOS version question

jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
This may be a simple question (at least I hope it is)

I have a few 2520's kicking around, and I'm trying to find out what the latest IOS for them would be. Is there a simple way to figure this out?

I spent a little time on google / cisco looking for it, and I'm on my way back to look for more info - just thought I would throw the question out there while I look. icon_wink.gif

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a 12.3 version for the 2500's but its the ip plus feature set so you will lose some functionality vs staying with the 12.2 version which has an IP FW withe Crypto feature set. I forget the exact versions but you can use the feature navigatior on Cisco's site for more information

www.cisco.com/go/fn
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote: »
    There is a 12.3 version for the 2500's but its the ip plus feature set so you will lose some functionality vs staying with the 12.2 version which has an IP FW withe Crypto feature set. I forget the exact versions but you can use the feature navigatior on Cisco's site for more information

www.cisco.com/go/fn

Thank you.

Would you recommend going with the 12.3 then? I'm very new to this so, if left to me to decide I might as well flip a coin. I do have two of them, and from what I have read / can tell - the best thing I can do with them is use them for frame relay / tinkering?

And thanks for that link!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a lab they are fine, you can't hit all of the topics on the current CCNA but they still have many features on them. Anything in the 12.2 or 12.3 IOS versions should be fine for the CCNA. You will want to supplement these routers with something that can run 12.4 and SDM for practice. Even when you outgrow the 2520 you can use it as a frame switch.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote: »
    For a lab they are fine, you can't hit all of the topics on the current CCNA but they still have many features on them. Anything in the 12.2 or 12.3 IOS versions should be fine for the CCNA. You will want to supplement these routers with something that can run 12.4 and SDM for practice. Even when you outgrow the 2520 you can use it as a frame switch.

Thanks again!

I plan to get a few more routers - at the moment I use Dynampis / GNS3 for my labs. I had these kicking around, and now that I am going full force I'm breaking out the old stuff, and picking up some new. icon_cheers.gif