Options

Kicking the tires on a CCNA Lab, need input please

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, I've read thru a few of the threads and also looking around on good 'ol ebay, however still wanted to get some input before buying anything.

I am in the process of looking for equipment for a CCNA lab. I would like to be able to use it based on the exercises of the Cisco books that I have bought. Would also like to upgrade to CCNA Voice and/or CCNP, if wanting to go that route in the future.

Here are some of my questions:

-What is the standard IOS?

-What is the best RAM amount to have ?

-What interface cables/cards will I need in order to connect everything together?

-Will I need an Access Server (like a 2511 router) in order to manage all of the switches and routers?

-Also how many switches and routers do I need in order to setup the lab?

Right now I'm leaning towards 2 1760 Routers, looks like they can do VOIP (thanks ITDaddy for the advice!).

thanks in advance
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »

Thanks for the input, however word on the street is that a person can typically do better via ebay then going thru ciscokits.

Looks like their website can be used as a cost-comparison against ebay.

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, however word on the street is that a person can typically do better via ebay then going thru ciscokits.

Looks like their website can be used as a cost-comparison against ebay.

thanks

You can do better on ebay than on kits providing you know what to buy. Decide on a model of router, understand the spec you need in terms of flash, dram, interfaces. Then find a reputable buyer on ebay. Make a single purchase and see how you get on. No rush to throw a lot of stuff together.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Turgon wrote: »
    No rush to throw a lot of stuff together.

your not wrong there Turgon,
    Jock take some time to watch a couple of auctions close and you'll get an idea of prices in your area.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    You can do better on ebay than on kits providing you know what to buy. Decide on a model of router, understand the spec you need in terms of flash, dram, interfaces. Then find a reputable buyer on ebay. Make a single purchase and see how you get on. No rush to throw a lot of stuff together.

That and availability. There's been a few things I've been looking for on ebay that have been either 1) not there, 2) over priced, 3) poor quality.
  • Options
    your not wrong there Turgon,
    Jock take some time to watch a couple of auctions close and you'll get an idea of prices in your area.

Agreed, I've got a bunch of routers/switches that I'm in the processing of watching. Will spend the next few weeks taking notes and observing.

thanks!

-unknown
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Greetings, I've read thru a few of the threads and also looking around on good 'ol ebay, however still wanted to get some input before buying anything.

I am in the process of looking for equipment for a CCNA lab. I would like to be able to use it based on the exercises of the Cisco books that I have bought. Would also like to upgrade to CCNA Voice and/or CCNP, if wanting to go that route in the future.

Here are some of my questions:

-What is the standard IOS?

-What is the best RAM amount to have ?

-What interface cables/cards will I need in order to connect everything together?

-Will I need an Access Server (like a 2511 router) in order to manage all of the switches and routers?

-Also how many switches and routers do I need in order to setup the lab?

Right now I'm leaning towards 2 1760 Routers, looks like they can do VOIP (thanks ITDaddy for the advice!).

thanks in advance

I've been working on my lab, and in a round about way asking a lot of the same questions.

1. For ios version / feature questions www.cisco.com/go/fn (Thanks to dtlokee)

2. As far as ram goes, I'm not going to be much help, but the it never hurts to have extra. As long as you can run the ios you need I would think that would be enough for a home lab.

3. Cables, etc... Here is a good post from the faq! I just picked up a 1FT Back to Back DCE/DTE DB60 Crossover Cable for my 2520's.

4. You don't need the 2511, but it wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't get cheap with other gear to fit this in though.

5. I don't know exactly how many switches you will need, but I'm going with 3 switches - 2x 2950's w/EI (Enhanced Image) and a 3550 EMI (for NP L3 Switch) / PWR (for Voice down the road). As far as routers, at the moment I plan to do a lot of routing with GNS3 / Dynamips - You will need access to ios's for that though. ** Whatever you do don't put your ios's on a public ftp server, or people will be able to find and download them using search terms like "c7200 bin" on sites like MODERATED

The 26xxXM router was recommened for something that would last into the NP, but I don't know about using them for voip... icon_confused.gif: Oh, and try to get the routers with the voice mods in them if you can, from what I can tell they cost a grip on their own.

I would also take a look at this post. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure how or why your link got mangled and is invalid....
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    1. For ios version / feature questions this is a great site!
    Use the shortcut
    www.cisco.com/go/fn

or go straight to Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

jbrad95706 wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't put your ios's on a public ftp server, or people will be able to find and download them using search terms like "c7200 bin" on sites like MODERATED
    If you had said Google I wouldn't have had to moderate it icon_rolleyes.gif But then your warning to avoid software pirates should mention web server in addition to ftp server.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Not sure how or why your link got mangled and is invalid....

Use the shortcut
    www.cisco.com/go/fn

or go straight to Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

If you had said Google I wouldn't have had to moderate it icon_rolleyes.gif But then your warning to avoid software pirates should mention web server in addition to ftp server.

Yea, I don't know what I did when I messed up the Cisco link. I had mentioned the ftp search engine because it crawls ftp servers specifically; however, I imagine web servers could host files like this as well - I'll keep that link to myself. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good lad. Mike is just giving you some friendly advice. He's very good like that.