Sound Card Problem with XP

Kerry_20Kerry_20 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just updated an old gateway computer to Windows XP. In the process I lost the device driver for the sound card. Is there anyway to find out the model number of a sound card by looking at the card itself? The computer is an old P5-133 from Gateway. The sound card is installed on a PCI slot rather than the motherboard. Please Help!!!!

--Kerry

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Win XP on a P133? icon_cry.gif

What I do whenever I have a card (sound, modem, lan) that does not get recognized by Windows is look for the largest chip on the PCB and Google up the numbers on it.

Granted, a card that came out of that machine might not have XP drivers but it's worth a shot.

I'm curious-- why XP on a 133? Supposedly it won't work anyway (sys requirements say 233 at least). If you do have it working, I'm assuming (hoping) it's just to test with... in which case you won't need the sound anyway...

Good luck. How long does it take to boot up, btw?
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

You should be able to find the driver for the sound card. There should be a number on the card referring to the model number. Get the model number and go to:

http://www.driverguide.com and look up the driver.

Umm, and yeah, Win XP shouldn't even be able to run on a 133, unless that is the Gateway model number of the PC.
  • Kerry_20Kerry_20 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's the model number of the gateway computer. XP is running fast!!!

--Kerry :D
  • awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have no idea. All I know is the computer is a gateway and the
    P5 part is just part of the model number.

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    P5 is an unoffical term for a Pentium. It's the fifth generation Intel chip, the previous being 8086, 286, 386 and 486.

I'd have to guess it's a Gateway P5-133 case with something else under the hood.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
    Yeah its got a Pentium III processor (451MHz) and 192 MB of RAM. I just installed Windows XP on it. I finally found the sound driver on driverguide.com. Thanks for your help.