Options

cisco sdm

Haruna Umar AdogaHaruna Umar Adoga Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi, am currently preparing for the cisco ccna 640-802 exams, i dont have sdm installed on my computer. want someone to help me write out the link to get it and to please let me know how important it is for me to be able to use it for the exams and for my future career. thanks alot

Comments

• Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont forget that SDM is discontinued and was replaced with CCP

Cisco.com Login Page
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what is on the ccent test sdm or ccp?
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    SDM and I had never heard of CCP until this post. GG cisco and your maze of a website.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    apd123 wrote: »
    SDM and I had never heard of CCP until this post. GG cisco and your maze of a website.

I support this statement. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    cool_fs4ucool_fs4u Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    what is on the ccent test sdm or ccp?

there is no sdm on CCENT exam
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WTF? CCP - one c short of an Evil Empire, this does not bode well
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Also make sure you have the right Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Most of the SDM Packages are supported by an older version and will not run with the newest version installed. Check out the pdf for the version you are installing, it will tell you the JRE supported. SDM Downloads
  • Options
    i cant find the document that states what was the last supported version of Java that SDM supports, but how I learned this was I had some users calling me stating SDM was not working. after setting it up in my own lab, i thought they were smoking something (1.6.14 JRE)... but the longer i played with it, i realized that while SDM would run, i couldnt make changes on several settings. I put JRE 1.6.3 on and everything worked flawlessly (what i tested the systems with, over a year ago), i played with other current versions, they too didnt work.

I want to say that 1.5.x-1.6.3 were the supported java versions. i would have to pull up the emails from cisco where i worked on this.

bottom line is its discontinued, confirmed by 3+ cisco engineers i had been working with. i do Information Assurance the majority of the time nowadays, and if software does not comply to the update standards, ie keeping up with java releases, then it is a issue. As of this writing, CCP supports up to JRE 1.6.10, 1.6.11 is undergoing testing, CCP1.4 just got released, i tested 1.6.15 OK... main difference is these items receive updates, SDM doesnt, its done.

somewhat related - http://blog.durdle.com/archives/2009/04/22/java-update-13-breaks-cisco-sdm-25/comment-page-1/#comment-14994 , you'll see issues like this all over the net. cisco doesnt do a good job of letting this out very well, and their engineers will tell you the same.

From SDM2.5 download link (was correct with that 1.6.3 was last version supported =):
    Cisco SDM requires Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The following versions are supported:
    • JRE 1.5_09
    • JRE1.4.2_08
    • JRE 1.5.0_06
    • JRE 1.5.0_07
    • JRE 1.6.0_02
    • JRE 1.6.0_03
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    So, should we actually use SDM or the new CCP? Chris Bryants train signal videos showed SDM. I know that our company here uses SDM, I believe. I am getting ready to install one of these on my home router and I would like to know. Someone please PM me.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    So, should we actually use SDM or the new CCP? Chris Bryants train signal videos showed SDM. I know that our company here uses SDM, I believe. I am getting ready to install one of these on my home router and I would like to know. Someone please PM me.
    If you're studying for the CCNA you'll want SDM.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Ok great. I am studying for the CCNA. I'll make sure to install it on my router when I get home. Thanks for the quick reply :)
  • Options
    just make sure you download a supported version of Java, this issue is on several threads on these forums and while you need SDM for the certification, in prodution it may not be the case.