Options

Registered for ICND2

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Hey guys,

I registered for the ICND2; I'm taking it next Friday, the 31st, at 12 EST. I like to throw this kind of stuff up there so I can motivate myself even more and share my experiences with people who are thinking about going on the Cisco track.

I passed the ICND1 in March and have been studying for the ICND2 since then. I've got the knowledge down to where I'm passing most of the practice exams in the high 80's. These are Boson exams mind you so I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm currently going over configuration and tightening up spots that I'm weak in (Frame Relay, STP are the two big ones.)

One thing about the CCNA exams is that they really make you prove you know the stuff, which is very beneficial to people who are thinking about taking the exams. You come out of the testing center knowing that they didn't try and trick you.

The last thing I have for anybody is that, and I'm not alone on this, Cisco is a very tiring study track. There were weeks where I would put the book down and not even look at it during the ICND1. There were a few times I did that with ICND2 but it wasn't as long. Just keep your head up and you'll do fine.

Hopefully I can say the same thing for myself!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

You still have plenty of time left to drive drive yourself crazy trying to make sure you've got all the exam blueprint topics covered. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    The last thing I have for anybody is that, and I'm not alone on this, Cisco is a very tiring study track. There were weeks where I would put the book down and not even look at it during the ICND1. There were a few times I did that with ICND2 but it wasn't as long. Just keep your head up and you'll do fine.

Hopefully I can say the same thing for myself!

I agree with this. I passed ICND1 about a year ago and have been studying on and off for ICND2 ever since.

Having a small child demanding my limited amount of time certainly doesn't help. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

You still have plenty of time left to drive drive yourself crazy trying to make sure you've got all the exam blueprint topics covered. icon_lol.gif

That's an excellent point, I'm definitely doing that. The thing about Cisco, like I mentioned above, is that there are no surprises. If you know what is on the topics...you're not going to have a problem.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good luck. I'm studying for the one test route. I'm half way through my ICND1 book and I have already read two other books, and performed some sample labs as well. Waiting to buy my real equipment. My wife and I have two kids, so I know that it's hard. I am very lucky because I only work 4 days a week, 10 hour days, so on my 3 days off, I make myself get up extra early to get 3-4 hours of study time before anyone gets up. My job also provides me spare time to study as well.
  • Options
    Dubuku57Dubuku57 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's an excellent point, I'm definitely doing that. The thing about Cisco, like I mentioned above, is that there are no surprises. If you know what is on the topics...you're not going to have a problem.
    Yeah i was relly grateful about the no surprises bit..Think its crazy when there is a mountain load of stuff to ask and some exams insist on test stuff thats outta syllabus.. drives me up the wall.
  • Options
    dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck jscimeca715 on the ICND2! I have finally decided my exact certification path (Cisco!) and I'm currently studying for my ICND1. I feel good knowing that I'm not the only one that puts the book down for a while :)
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    jscimeca715,

I took the ICND 2 exam yesterday and failed by just one mark. I would say know VLSM, Frame Relay and STP. I found these to be the main areas the exam as a whole actually werent to bad. I think i rushed myself to much through it and misread a few questions here and there. Just take your time read every question carefully you will be fine :)
  • Options
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    jscimeca715,

I took the ICND 2 exam yesterday and failed by just one mark. I would say know VLSM, Frame Relay and STP. I found these to be the main areas the exam as a whole actually werent to bad. I think i rushed myself to much through it and misread a few questions here and there. Just take your time read every question carefully you will be fine :)

Thanks for the advice Hodgey. I have VLSM down cold (or so I think!) and STP down really well. Frame Relay is Beyotch...but I have four more days to get it down cold. Conceptually, I think that's the hardest subject in ICND2
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Hodgey. I have VLSM down cold (or so I think!) and STP down really well. Frame Relay is Beyotch...but I have four more days to get it down cold. Conceptually, I think that's the hardest subject in ICND2

Yeh ive found frame relay to be abit of a nightmare, configuring it im fine its just remembering some of the theory behind it. Im hoping to rebook mine for sometime next week just to get it sorted :)
  • Options
    Got the test in a little over two hours. Those butterflies are chomping away at my stomach but I'm ready.
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Good luck, hope to see your update saying 'passed'.
  • Options
    Good luck dude you will be fine :)
  • Options
    Good luck! You know you'll pass with a great score :)
    WIP:
    -CCENT
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Good luck! I will be checking back for the results and hopefully a Congrats!
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
  • Options
    PASSED with a 972. I'm simply amazed at my score, as the exam seemed much more difficult than the 1st one. But once again, I wasn't surprised by anything, everything was exactly in the Exam Topics. Here's what I used to study:

Wendall Odom ICND2 exam certification guide.
    -Very thorough and comprehensive. All of his examples are well written. I read the book once, highlighting as I went along. I then went through the book a second time actually studying it. Then, about three weeks before the test I took the exam topics and studied particular topics each night.

Cisco Network Simulator, Boson Netsim and Packet Tracer
    -Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefit in using actual hardware. As most of the people on here, money is pretty tight so I went the opposite route. The network simulator was great because it has three different ways to learn. Them holding your hand, them guiding you, and them sending you out on your own. Most of the labs only take 15-20 minutes and really help you memorize the commands and what the best implementation is. Cisco doesn't want you memorizing the commands, they want you to know how to use them and this simulator accomplishes that.

Other than that, this exam has been a really tough mountain for me to climb. The material is very dense and there were numerous times I almost gave up. I took ICND1 in March and then immediately started studying for the ICND2. It took me about five months to study for this one with about three hours of studying a night give or take.

I want to thank everybody for their help on this forum. Everyone has given me the advice I needed and the motivation to better myself. I plan on taking the next two weeks to send some resumes out and formulate my next plan of attack. My father in law might be able to get me a contracting job and if that works out I'll be able to jump right into CCNP. As for tonight, I plan on not remembering my name. Thanks again!
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    As for tonight, I plan on not remembering my name. Thanks again!

LOL!!!!

Congrats jscimeca!!!! Glad to hear you you passed!!
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass awesome score icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the pass. I am planning on taking it in on Aug 21
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Enjoy your celebration!! drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ziggi138 wrote: »
    Congratz on the pass. I am planning on taking it in on Aug 21
    Good luck to you. I'm sure you're familiar with the exam but the exam topics are where it's at! Make sure you have those and you'll do fine.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Congratulations mate...icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Congratulations! Great score!!
    WIP:
    -CCENT
  • Options
    jeesarejeesare Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Impressive score, showed you were prepared. I hope I score a 1001.4 when I take the 802 for the 2nd time.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats from here as well. I wrote ICND1 a couple of weeks ago and started right in with ICND2. It's taking me a bit longer to go through the ICND2 chapters but most of this is not new to me since I've had a couple of stabs at the full CCNA (older) exam years ago.

I should be ready by Labor day (first Monday in September for those not native to the USA).
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Congrats, and well done with the high score. A pass is a pass but that shows you really know your stuff.