Options

MCSE Lab setup - MS vs VMware virtualization??

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
The previous post got sidetracked (http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/44933-setting-up-lab-mcsa.html), but I just wanted to continue the discussion of setting up a lab....

In the previous post,120nm4n stated that VMWare has an virtual appliance of Windows 2003R2, great!!

But it looks like there are tons of problems in getting it to run, see: VMware Communities: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition Virtual Appliance

AND, it looks like you have to use MS Virtual PC or MS Virtual Server icon_sad.gif

Has anyone got this to work with VMware alone?

My thoughts were to simply install VMware and run the 180d trial that comes with the MCSE Self Paced Books/CD's

(Sorry to post this here instead of Virtualization sub-forum - but this is where the original post originated)

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have never had any issues getting the trials to run using any version of VMWare. I have used ESXi, Server and Workstation.

I would just set it up and install on a new VM. I usually copy my machines and run newSID. Faster than installing and updating 3 machines.
  • Options
    lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Robert, will do!!
  • Options
    lanrysmithlanrysmith Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also using VMware Virtualization and found many answers with searching of VMware Virtualization. You can also try this, if you have questions.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im using hyper-v in an R2 installation. Working fine for me so far.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Since you can get ESXi 4.1 for free, I would go with that. I built me one and love it.
  • Options
    MattMcNabbMattMcNabb Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have never had any issues getting the trials to run using any version of VMWare. I have used ESXi, Server and Workstation.

I would just set it up and install on a new VM. I usually copy my machines and run newSID. Faster than installing and updating 3 machines.

Seconded! I run ESXi and have several Server 2003 and Server 2008 machines with no issues. I have ISA 2006, Active Directory, Certificate Services and SQL Server 2005 all set up on a dual homed machine in a lab environment. I find this version of VMware to be extremely simple to use and its free!
    “It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”