Options

Serial USB DB9 cables

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

just wondered what everyone was using between their PC and cisco console cable/cables. I want to have about 10 cisco devices connected to my server so looking at multiple serial to one USB connectors

USB 2.0 4 Port Serial DB-9 RS-232 Adapters with FTDI Chipset USBG-4X2FTDI LOW PRICE $74.98

this is one I found, also wondered will the PC see these as different com/usb ports so for instance they can be individual identifiable to putty?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally would recommend an access server to control all of your devices. You can get either a 2509, 2511, or even purchase a Network Module. Here's a 2509 I found after a quick ebay search: Cisco 2509

I hope this helps!

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just reread the post. You probably would want a 2511 which would allow you connections of up to 16 devices.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Just reread the post. You probably would want a 2511 which would allow you connections of up to 16 devices.

V/r

~Peanut

thanks for the reply, just had a quick look, how do you connect 16 devices to these (addition cables?), Also i need to telnet to this device from the outside, i'm guessing this will be just like another outer on the network right and then from the terminal you can get to all your gear?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    You should really investigate the of the Telnet command. You may need it some day.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks for the reply, just had a quick look, how do you connect 16 devices to these (addition cables?), Also i need to telnet to this device from the outside, i'm guessing this will be just like another outer on the network right and then from the terminal you can get to all your gear?

read this Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225

Cisco 8-Lead Octal Cable 68-Pin to 8-Male RJ45s 3ft
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »

Thanks for the link, I bought a NM-32A card for one of my existing routers and a couple CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cables, fun fun fun