Options

first timer on Sec +

starlight111starlight111 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, any advice is welcome...I have been prepping for the Security + using Mike Myers passport to Security + and Exam Cram2, also several "freebie" test sites, including this one, like Boson and Transcender but only did the demos. So far been scoring well on the tests and was going to get the TCat 700 page pdf. Would that be overkill??? Money is a factor but of course having to retake would blow too!

Comments

• Options
    jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hard to say if anything is overkill considering how much the exam costs and that this one seems to be the hardest (based on what I have read on the internet) of the CompTia exams. I have read 3 books: Syngress, Examinsight, and Sybex. I have been studying for the past 8 weeks and plan to continue studying for at least another 3 weeks before I take the exam. I feel I am close but still know I am probably not ready yet. I do work in an IT enironment and have the A+ and MCP. Also check out the examcram demo test on their web page. Some good questions there that I had not run across in my books' practice exams. Doubtful that was much help to you but just my $.02. But to me the important thing is to get info from as many sources as possible.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Tcat's PDF is supposed to be an excellent source on this one. However, as jsond said, use as many sources as possible. Search on the Internet for sites on network security. There are several available. Go through these for both review and new information.

My experience has shown me that no exam guide is absolutely complete by itself, so try and, if at all possible, lay out the cash(consider it an investment in yourself) and get more study material. What you have are both cram-style books and are probably good for their intended purpose, which is to tell you what additional kinds of informational resources you need to search out to complete studying for the exam.

Best of luck!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki