passed 640-622

slayer3slayer3 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed today with a 902. This was my first Cisco test and now I can move on to the ICND2 part. Four out of the first ten questions were SIMS but if you have hands on with real equipment or the simulators the SIMS are not that tough just read the questions carefully. Here is what i used to study with:

ICND Official Exam Guide by Wendell Odom, a little dry but after I read it for the 3rd time it all started to not seem so boring.

CCNA exam guide by Todd Lamale, I put this book up there with Odom. Not quite as dry but just as thorough as Odom.

CCNA flashcards by Eric Rivard and Jim Doherty, I liked this due to the size of the book it was small enough to carry around and I would read it during lunch at work. Nothing ground breaking but this served the purpose as a nice refresher to topics.

CCNA Portable Command Guide by Scott Empson, another small book I liked that was portable and served as a refresh guide.

31 Days before your CCNA exam by Allan Johnson, another small book that served as a refresher and it helped keep me on track the last couple of weeks before my test.

Train signal with Chris Bryant, A lot of people have said that Chris is a little boring but I have to admit he does have some humor, a little dry but not as boring as I thought it was going to be. And a lot of his tips did show up on my exam.

CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara, this guy is the pooh when it comes to the command line and the videos are fun to watch. The guy knows his stuff.

Home lab, to me this is where you really learn. I have been very blessed in getting the cisco equipment. I made my own straight through and crossover cables, updated the memory in the routers, updated the IOS in the routers and switches. And when doing labs I would make some dumb mistakes like installing the DTE end of the cable on the DCE side and would have to try and figure out why can I not ping the other router? This is what seperates the home lab from the simulator. Human error and it does make it fun to troubleshoot especially when you thought you had everything installed correctly.

And of course subnetting, if you can do the subnetting questions within 30 seconds or less you will have no problem with the exam.

Comments

• hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Congrats on the pass :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Good Luck with your continued studies!! icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • cool_fs4ucool_fs4u Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratz. CCNA next?
  • schpenxelschpenxel Registered Users Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara, this guy is the pooh when it comes to the command line and the videos are fun to watch. The guy knows his stuff.

couldn't agree more.. he is AWESOME. i put his videos on my iPhone and listen to them while making the 1.5hr drive to work every morning. i know the concepts for the most part so i can follow along with just listening and only look at the screen every now and then when i get lost.

definitely a HUGE Help.. and practical. he doesnt just show a bunch of garbage that you'll never use unlike a lot of books.
  • slayer3slayer3 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cool_fs4u wrote: »
    congratz. CCNA next?

Yes, will take the ICND test in 2~3 months.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    congrats on the pass icon_smile.gif

ps you might want to edit that first paragraph....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Congratulations on the pass!

What subnetting technique did you use?
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550