Ciw certifications

SumptuousSumptuous Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys

Has anyone taken any of the CIW certifications,how are they compared to other certifications,especially the following certs:

CIW Server Administrator
CIW Internetworking Professional
CIW Security Professional
2010 GOALS

MCITP,EA,SACWNACCNP

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I don't really see the CIW certs as being valued by employers, even those that do Web site design. CBT Nuggets seems to be the only training materials provider that supports these certs. I'd be interested to know if anyone has gained any recognition from having any of the CIW certs.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    WGU has them as classes for some of the degrees that they offer. I have 3 CIW certs but feel that 2 of them are not going to do anything for me. That and the yearly recertification at $150 a test kinda kills it. I see CIW exams on the same level as some of the Comptia exams. You take them to get your foot in the door somewhere and go from there. Personally liked the Database design 1D0-541 test and felt it was a good stepping stone into a DBA path IMHO.

As far as recognition goes. Nada

A nationwide search on monster netted 3 results. However I don't think this 1 result is the same as the cert.

RESPONSIBILITIES

* Provide subject matter expertise to the Marine Corps Center for Irregular Warfare (CIW), focusing specifically on how the core, supporting and related capabilities of information operations impact Marine Corps forces' ability to conduct irregular warfare activities.​
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    azjag wrote: »
    That and the yearly recertification at $150 a test kinda kills it. I see CIW exams on the same level as some of the Comptia exams.
    Yearly re-certification? Yeow! Are Web technologies changing so quickly that annual re-testing is necessary for continued entry-level competency in the industry? I think not!
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU has them as classes for some of the degrees that they offer. I have 3 CIW certs but feel that 2 of them are not going to do anything for me. That and the yearly recertification at $150 a test kinda kills it. I see CIW exams on the same level as some of the Comptia exams. You take them to get your foot in the door somewhere and go from there. Personally liked the Database design 1D0-541 test and felt it was a good stepping stone into a DBA path IMHO.

This is something that has me searching for alternatives before signing up.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    That and the yearly recertification at $150 a test kinda kills it.

As with CompTIA, CIW certs don't expire. There is no need to recertify unless you want an updated cert. Where did you read that you need to recertify every year?
    Usus magister est optimus
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry for the late response. I'm checking my resources but so far Apena7 is right. My bad for the wrong information.
    Back to DEFCON I go.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I'm checking my resources but so far Apena7 is right. My bad for the wrong information.QUOTE]

Good, because a yearly recertification would be another nail in pursuing CIW certs. I was worried about that (well, not really ;))
    Usus magister est optimus
    A yearly re-cert is not something that I had ever heard of, so good to have that corrected.

FYI: Certified Internet Web Professional | CIW-certified.com
  • srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have known people with CIW certs but they always need to be explained. I am sure that if we keep telling people about them employers will recognize them more easily.

I want CIW for their Perl certification as I program in Perl. They are also vendor-neutral. I will eventually get CIW certs.
    srcurrie wrote: »
    I am sure that if we keep telling people about them employers will recognize them more easily.
    It's the responsibility of a certification's vendor to market its own certs. Any favorable word-of-mouth from places like TechExams is just an added bonus, and it shouldn't be relied upon by the vendor as the primary means of advertising the usefulness--or even existence--of an IT certification.