Options

JockVSJock's progress towards CCNA

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    5/13
    -Quiz/review in the morning for chp2/chp3...stuff is starting to gell
    -While at work did a bunch of converting ip to binary, matter of fact, all day. Also wrote out
    CDIR a few times
    -Did more quiz/review for chp2/chp3 and chp4
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    5/18

Read and took notes of Chp 1 in Lammle's book.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    5/19

Have read chp 1, 2 and 3 in Lammle's Book and need to take notes now.

-unknown
  • Options
    5/23

Wrote up my notes for the following Odom chps: 9, 10 and 11. I am almost done with the book and only have 6 chapters left (I already have chp 12 written up, which is the subnetting chapter).

I also fired up my Cisco Catalyst 2900 12 port switch today and spent some time learning some of the commands.

I want to backup the IOS before getting too wild, so I'm reading up on that.

Here is an example of some output:
    C2900#show version
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 19-Sep-03 10:28 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0034E434

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

C2900 uptime is 6 hours, 52 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC9.bin"

cisco WS-C2912-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FAB0402U198, with hardware revision 0x01
    Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
    Cluster command switch capable
    Cluster member switch capable
    12 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:B0:64:9B:77:C0
    Motherboard assembly number: 73-3397-07
    Power supply part number: 34-0834-01
    Motherboard serial number: FAB04016434
    Power supply serial number: DAB03433T1P
    Model revision number: A0
    Model number: WS-C2912-XL-EN
    System serial number: FAB0402U198
    Configuration register is 0xF

One of the questions that I have is, can I just power this sucker up? I am using Minicom from my Linux box and I had attached the serial to rj-45 connector and then powered it on and then I connected via minicom.

Once I got connected, it was already at the c2900> prompt.

Also is there a correct way to shut this switch down without screwing it up?

-unknown
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Also is there a correct way to shut this switch down without screwing it up?

Nope. There's no switch and no software shutdown procedure. Just cut power.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Nope. There's no switch and no software shutdown procedure. Just cut power.

I'd save first, unless you want to be like me a configure a new switch and bring it in to install and forgot you didn't write it before you unplugged it from your desk.icon_redface.gif
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    I'd save first, unless you want to be like me a configure a new switch and bring it in to install and forgot you didn't write it before you unplugged it from your desk.icon_redface.gif

Very good point. I was thinking from a lab perspective where I don't normally carry a config forward.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »

I haven't made any changes...yet...However my first goal is to copy down my IOS from all of my switches/routers to my Linux box and tar them up in case I need them.

Not sure how to save on a Cisco router/switch, do tell!

-unknown
  • Options
    5/24

For today:
    -writeup notes for Chp 11 & 13 today. For some reason I did chp 13 first and then realized that I missed chp 11....oh well...

-played around with minicom and that Cisco Switch. I feel another addiction coming on, like when I first started to learn Linux, 10 years ago

-also I turned minicom on first and then started up the Cisco Switch and was able to watch the POST/Boot screen

URLs for Minicom configs:

Installing Minicom to connect to Cisco router using console cable. | David Sudjiman

Howto Setup advanced TFTP server in Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek

-unknown
  • Options
    9MMMAC9MMMAC Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know the faceplates can be a bummer- they look sloppy and ugly if missing or broken. The repair depends on what's broken and where. Do you have any pieces left? If so, please post them- it will help. Take off the metal top cover like the link repair shows. You can try to superglue the original tab "ear" back together then tease it back into the mounting hole. Hot glue works pretty well also. You have to get the assembled faceplate back onto the router! Support it with lots of duct tape if you have to when it's done.

Then pack some JB Weld through the hole onto the faceplate- try to cover as much surface area of the faceplate as you can. At this point, your pushing through the chassis, back towards the faceplate. Then JB Weld what pokes through into the chassis, making sure you smoosh the eariler putty deposits and the new deposits together. You're building up the JB Weld, so smooth some around the ear/tab/thingy back through to the mounting base of the face place. If you can get enough surface contact on all the surfaces, believe me, it WON'T come off. Period.

What i'm trying to explain is you should see a smooth cone of grey putty that has a root in the faceplate, extends through the front frame and moulds around the mounting tab. If your mounting tab has any close contact to the metal frame of the router, that's perfect- build up a thin layer from the tab to the metal frame. About 1/8 inch on the tab and 1/4 inch on the metal will be perfect, and more perfect if you can get TWO sides of the tab, but all is for naught if you can't get the putty around the root of the tab! That's the weak spot- your repair will fail if the tab falls off the faceplate.

Make this a two stage repair if you have to- tab to faceplate on day 1, then an overnight cure (it will warm as it "kicks" or starts to harden.) Then on day 2 mount the faceplate and glob it together to the frame.

I wish I could get electrons to flow like this...icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    5/25

For today
    -notes cleanup for Chp 8, 11 and 13

My goal for the weekend is to have all of my notes for the Cisco ICND Book done.
    Also want to give hostname and backup all IOS of my Cisco routers/switches.

-unknown
  • Options
    5/26

Read and took notes for Chp 14 in Odom's book.

-unknown
  • Options
    5/31

So I've slacked a bit, I haven't done any studying for a few days. These are the 1st days off I've had since the Christmas holiday.

I've tried to copy down the Cisco ios from my 2900 Switch to either my Linux box or my Windows Laptop and not able to do it. I did d/l a TFTP client on the Windows 7 Laptop, and still wasn't able to copy it down using
    copy tftp flash

I was able to assign the Switch an ip address and was able to ping it from the laptop, however wasn't able to ping from the Switch to the laptop.

I also wasn't able to assign the Switch a loopaback address, even though I was in exec mode
    int loopback 0 

-unknown
  • Options
    You have the parameters backwards. Its "copy source destination" so you want copy flash tftp to backup the IOS to a PC.

And there are no loopback interfaces on a layer 2 switch. They don't really serve any purpose at layer 2. For one thing, the only IP address a layer 2 switch can have is on the interface of it's management VLAN.
  • Options
    5/31

So far today, I have done the following:
    -wrote up notes for Chp 1 & 2 for Lammle. I'm also working on chp 3 as I write this up.

Here is another question I have, with these two 2900 series switches, how in the hell do they hook up to say a router. I don't see an uplink port and not sure how this is done.

-unknown
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Here is another question I have, with these two 2900 series switches, how in the hell do they hook up to say a router. I don't see an uplink port and not sure how this is done.

You can configure any of the ports as an uplink to the router. I usually go with the highest numbered port.
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    Don't the 2500 routers require a transceiver to allow you to connect Ethernet?
  • Options
    JSK wrote: »
    Don't the 2500 routers require a transceiver to allow you to connect Ethernet?

The 2524 has a RJ-45, all of the rest of the Ethernet models (Remember, the 2500 series also had Token Ring models) had an AUI port or two.
  • Options

There's really nothing special about the uplink port(s) on a switch other than they're faster than the other ports in the switch (24 10/100Mbps ports vs 2 Gigabit ports). The 2900's are the bottom feeders of the 2900 series, so they have none. But there's nothing stopping you from connecting all 24 ports to 24 different routers if you so desire. There's also nothing stopping you from from connecting an uplink port to a server or high end workstation.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    5/31

So far today, I have done the following:
    -wrote up notes for Chp 1 & 2 for Lammle. I'm also working on chp 3 as I write this up.

You need to connect them to a ethernet or fast ethernet port. With the 2500 there are adapters you can use. For other routers can get some wic cards.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    6/1

Finished the Odom book today and wrote up chp 15, 16, and 17 notes.

I also read Chp 3 in Lammle's book and took notes. The sticking points are VLMS and supernetting.

-unknown
  • Options
    6/2

Working on Subnetting/VLSM/Supernetting from Chp 3.

Its funny, in both books the concepts are the same, the methodologies on how to get the answers are different.

-unknown
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    6/2

Working on Subnetting/VLSM/Supernetting from Chp 3.

Its funny, in both books the concepts are the same, the methodologies on how to get the answers are different.

That's the reason why I am an advocate for multiple studying instruments. By seeing different ways of resolving the problem, you can then choose to use the method that works best for you. Good luck with your studies!!! icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    6/3

Reviewed more subnetting from chp 3.

-unknown
  • Options
    6/5

Binary Game:

Cisco Binary Game

-unknown
  • Options
    6/5

Binary Game:

Cisco Binary Game

That's pretty cool. I'll have to remember this.
  • Options
    6/6

More binary game today along with reading chp 4/5, need to write up notes. I am going to stop at chp 6 and then quiz and review for the ccnet.

Want to take by the end of this month or early July.

-unknown
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cool updates. Keep up the momentum!
  • Options
    6/7

More binary conversion today
    Review subnetting
    Also printed up all of my notes that I've taken so far

-unknown
  • Options
    6/8

-More binary conversion stuff, the ones that I'm having issues with, I write them down and do them by hand
    -Quiz and Review Chp 1 of Lammle's and Odom's Chp 2 & Chp 3
    -I need to read chp 3 again of Lammle, some of my notes don't make sense

-unknown