Options

STUDY TIME??

gbagirl73gbagirl73 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
How long do you reckon it takes to study SECURITY + ?? Have just ordered a huge book!!

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I haven't studied for Sec+, but if it were for myself, I would figure on the amount of time it would take to study at least 3 good study manuals. This seems to be the "Mother of all CompTIA" exams. I say this because of all the posts that have been produced by this forum and a little superficial probing into the subject myself.

Also, the exam is, from all indications, not only made of factual book-like questions, but there is also the factor of "gut feeling"/intuition(whatever you want to call it) involved in evaluating the situations given. So, you should make a double effort to really get a "feel" by really concentrating on all review questions where ever you can find them.

There are also many sites on the Internet that are dedicated to network security and they should be sought out and seriously reviewed.

One factor that is seldom mentioned, if at all, is in the area of gaining an understanding of scripting & Computer programming, and a better understanding of using command-line manipulation of PCs--getting a feel for something besides point-and-click moves. Well, at least, I've decided that that's what I'm going to do before I ever open a Security+ manual. But, something may work better for you.

Anyway, this is my opinion. And, I wish you the very best of luck in your own preparation for Security+!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess it depends on whether (or how much) you are exposed to some of the topics where you work. I work in an IT environment but do not have much exposure to many of the technical aspects of the objectives in the exam. Also I think it is important to get your info from as many sources as possible. The syngress book I have read breaks down certain concepts much better than other books and vice-versa. I have invested a total of 7-8 weeks preparing for this exam. Sometimes I think I am ready and then I take a practice exam demo or whatnot that I struggle with and realize I am further away than I thought. I think when you are ready you will know it (those that passed will obviously know this better than me). But with as much info and feedback as is readily available on the internet I just think there will be a day in the near future where I will know I am ready. In the end I think the most important things are to get as much info from as many sources as possible (books, websites, practice exams etc). Just keep plugging away and when the day comes..you will know it.
  • Options
    rubensboyzrubensboyz Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found that the Security+ exam was more of a memorization test than actual security knowledge.
    Depending on your experience, I would say that your time of study will vary. One of the things that you should understand is that the Security+ exam is going to cover lots, and I mean lots of different topics, with a good portion of there questions focusing on encryption.
    So take whatever time it takes for you to feel confident about encryption, know your port numbers, for instance which port number must be open in order for a user to use L2TP, Kerberos, etc. Dont rush yourself if you dont feel confident, but at the same time dont wait forever.

I used the Tcat PDF, and that was pretty much it, I read the Sybex book a little, but the TCAT book was all I needed, it covers the objectives of the exam to a "T", but to understand certain things, you may need to use other study materials, as some have suggested here in the forums.

Well good luck, also take lots of practice exams.