Options

CCENT Lab Needed

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

I just got back to studying, I have had many distractions to keep me busy. Ok! So no more excuses...

I need to ask you all what can some of you suggest for a decent model on a switch and router that I can start an initial lab with?

I was looking at some 2950, since there is a big jump in price if I go with a 2960. Can you suggest any other models where I would get the best bang for my buck? I just want use this equipment and start a lab to get familiar with the CL, and build into a lab for the CCNA. Right now I'm just working on the CCENT.

I guess I have a budget of about $200, I can get cables, so the entire budget would just be for the real hardware. So what would some suggest 2 switches ? 1 router and 1 switch?

Please share and Thanks for all of your feedback.
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    A budget of $200 is going to limit the gear you can get for sure... icon_sad.gif

I would spend it on switches, and use GNS3 for routing with $200 - I think that will give you enough for 2x2950's maybe. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I have a friend at work who passed CCNA a few months ago and this is what he used:

2 2950 Switches -> VLAN, VTP, STP etc...
    1 2520 Router -> Frame Relay Switch - two or three Serial Interfaces
    2 2503 routers -> Routing protocols, Frame Relay, Wan etc... - one serial interface at least

He passed and is now building this up for CCNP. 2500 series routers are dirt cheap on eBay, some as low as $30 each. :D

For CCENT all I used was one 2612 and one 2950 switch, although I used a simulator from time to time as well.
  • Options
    jhntjhnt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am starting to study for CCNA & using Todd Lammle book. I also have tight budjet like you but I tried to buy 2 routers 2501 from ciscokits.com and thereafter I think I will buy 1 switch 2950 from cableandkits.com where is cheaper the ciscokits. However, I bought 2 router 2501 from ciscokits because they included all the accessories and a video of CBT Nugget so you can watch and learn from them.

I think this is all enough for you to start from CCENT or CCNA. I love ciscokits.com because they explaned so clear of details before you decide to buy equipments for lab. This is the reason I bought routers from them. Here is a link and I hope this will help: Cisco CCNA Lab Suggestions - CiscoKits

Good luck my friend