Options

First Cisco exam....

exx1976exx1976 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
So.. I'm registered for 640-822 (ICND1) this coming Wednesday. Clearly, I'm no newbie to the world of certification testing in general, but -- I have never taken a Cisco exam before.

I have read Odom's book, and I am able to pass the Boson test without a problem. My practical experience, unfortunately, is all LAN-side, no WAN side stuff. Between the place I work now, and the place I just left a few months ago, I have worked on:

2811's
45xxs with SUP V
65xxs with SUP-720/fabric cards
MDS 9506
2950's
2960's
3750's
3550's
25xx's
26xx's
Call Manager, Unity, etc VoIP stuff

I've set up trunks, VLANs, VSANs, all that fun stuff. I've studied and read and have a solid understanding of the WAN side of it all.

What else should I be doing in these final few days to prep for this exam? My company pays for certification exams, but only once. If I fail, the retake is out of pocket. I don't need that additional expense right now.

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    sounds like you should be fully prepared.

know subnetting backward and forwards
    watch the clock during the exam
    realize their is no is no mark and review, select the answer and move on.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    exx1976 wrote: »
    My company pays for certification exams, but only once. If I fail, the retake is out of pocket. I don't need that additional expense right now.
    Don't fail. icon_rolleyes.gif

You should be fine with the experience you have. Make sure you can subnet backwards a forwards.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Wow, with all that experience you'd probably be better off brushing up on the WAN side of things and go straight at the CCNA exam, you should fly through the CCENT exam with no problems at all.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I wish you luck! Keep focused, look at your time, and with your experience you should do fine :) I haven't registered yet, but I am thinking my date is going to be Saturday, November 21st. That gives me 3 months and 25 days more to study on top of the other months that I have already been studying.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Subnetting, Subnetting, Subnetting

Oh, and being able to answer in double-quick time icon_neutral.gif

:D
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Good luck! Let us know how you do today!
  • Options
    citinerd wrote: »
    Good luck! Let us know how you do today!

How'd I do today...

Well, I spent the better part of last night, into the wee hours of the morning, fighting with IBM trying to get time and materials support on a server that had apparently gone out of warranty before I started working here. Then, after getting to bed at 0130, I got a phone call at 0630 telling me to forget the shirt and tie and just get into the office ASAP. I had left voicemails for people the night prior about the downed box (production database server).

Dealt with some of that mess, then I sourced an identical refurbished box from a vendor 4 hours away, had it couriered in, and then spent the afternoon putting it back together. I'm still trying to get some of the iSCSI LUNs to come back up, so I'll probably be here another few hours yet.

The short version of this story? I didn't get to go take the exam today. That's ok, I guess. Gives me a little more time to study. The company will pay for the rescheduling of this one though, I already checked.

I'll be sure to post up when I get it rescheduled for and how I do. My admin took his yesterday and scored an 888. Not too bad I thought. Now I have to take him out drinking on my dime as a congrats. LOL
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    How'd I do today...

Well, I spent the better part of last night, into the wee hours of the morning, fighting with IBM trying to get time and materials support on a server that had apparently gone out of warranty before I started working here. Then, after getting to bed at 0130, I got a phone call at 0630 telling me to forget the shirt and tie and just get into the office ASAP. I had left voicemails for people the night prior about the downed box (production database server).

Dealt with some of that mess, then I sourced an identical refurbished box from a vendor 4 hours away, had it couriered in, and then spent the afternoon putting it back together. I'm still trying to get some of the iSCSI LUNs to come back up, so I'll probably be here another few hours yet.

Isn't it great working in IT. icon_wink.gif Good luck with the exam.
  • Options
    wbosher wrote: »
    Isn't it great working in IT. icon_wink.gif Good luck with the exam.

Yeah, but it pays the bills and lets me afford toys, so who am I to complain? :D
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    How'd I do today...

The short version of this story? I didn't get to go take the exam today. That's ok, I guess. Gives me a little more time to study. The company will pay for the rescheduling of this one though, I already checked.

I'll be sure to post up when I get it rescheduled for and how I do. My admin took his yesterday and scored an 888. Not too bad I thought. Now I have to take him out drinking on my dime as a congrats. LOL

But still less stress than taking the exam. Right? icon_smile.gif