Options

UDP Question

typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding UDP and using T.F.T.P.

Since T.F.T.P uses UDP at the Transport Layer, how does error recovery take place?

For example, suppose we are using a T.F.T.P server to back up a router config file or a much larger file such as an IOS. Since the transmission of the config file or the IOS is being sent via UDP, what happens if an error occurs in transmission? Does the entire IOS not get copied from the router to the T.F.T.P server? I don't quite understand why UDP is used in this case involving file transfers. I understand why UDP is used for things such as VoIP, but it seems to me that reliable transport would be better suited to file transfer (such as backing up files to a T.F.T.P server).

Can anyone clarify please?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    typesh wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding UDP and using T.F.T.P.

Since T.F.T.P uses UDP at the Transport Layer, how does error recovery take place?

For example, suppose we are using a T.F.T.P server to back up a router config file or a much larger file such as an IOS. Since the transmission of the config file or the IOS is being sent via UDP, what happens if an error occurs in transmission? Does the entire IOS not get copied from the router to the T.F.T.P server? I don't quite understand why UDP is used in this case involving file transfers. I understand why UDP is used for things such as VoIP, but it seems to me that reliable transport would be better suited to file transfer (such as backing up files to a T.F.T.P server).

Can anyone clarify please?

Thank you.

TFTP and Error Correction - O'Reilly Media
  • Options
    TBellamyTBellamy Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That was a fun read! I wish that guy worked for Cisco Press.
  • Options
    exx1976exx1976 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tbellamy wrote: »
    that was a fun read! I wish that guy worked for cisco press.

lol

+1
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    T FTP uses UDP because it was designed to be simple so you can implement it in a boot ROM or loader easily.
  • Options
    jbrad95706 wrote: »

That was good! Thanks!

So if I understand correctly, the error recovery is implemented at the T.F.T.P level, and not at the UDP level?
  • Options
    TBellamyTBellamy Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    typesh wrote: »
    So if I understand correctly, the error recovery is implemented at the T.F.T.P level, and not at the UDP level?

Yup. You got it.
  • Options
    Nice! Thanks for the help!