Options

freezing after boot screen

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
hey!!

We put in a pny 9800 gtx+ card and installed the drivers that came with the cd. My friends computer keeps locking up right after the windows vista loading screen when its turns black. We went into safemode and uninstalled the drivers and then went into windows and installed the drivers. After reboot, it'll lockup again but it won't lock up in safemode. He tried a few older driver versions and has still had the same problem. We couldn't install the drivers in safemode and it'll work without the drivers when booting into windows. I don't understand what the problem could be. Does anyone have any idea's?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    definitely a driver issue - where did you get the drivers you're using? The reviews at newegg make me think that there are vista drivers out there, you'll just have to go to the Nvidia website to get them.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    I was thinking driver issue's too. We got the drivers off the cd that came with the card. He downloaded the vista drivers as well. We used both and none worked. He's thinking about going with an ATI card and returning the 9800gtx+.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's always a chance there's something physically wrong with the card. Maybe it's overheating from a poorly attached heat sink or something. I'm sure Aero pushes it a little harder than safe mode does, so there might be some other functionality that's causing things to lock-up. If he wants that card, you might want to try swapping it out for another one if you're sure if exhausted other options. I don't think you need to switch vendors. nVidia cards were problematic for Vista early-on, but I have them running in several Vista/Win7 machines without any problems.

Do you have another system you can throw it in and see if it works there?
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Maybe some other hardware you have added on is causing the lockup. I would install the drivers for the card and try removing/disabling devices one at a time to see if you can boot-up successfully and pinpoint what is causing a problem.

The Vista drivers should definitely work. I have a 9500 GT running on my Vista 64-bit and it runs flawlessly.
  • Options
    We did return the first card and thought that card was bad. The same thing happened to the second card. We might try it in my computer but I'll have to talk to him about that.

There was no other hardware added to the computer. He had a 7 series card in and it didn't cause any troubles.

He's thinking about flashing the bios but I'll have to talk to him about it later on because this was all last this morning before I went to bed.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Does he have onboard video? Try disabling that.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone but he went out and brought an ati 4850 card... I think thats what it is.
    Booya!!