Options

I HATE paper MCPs

Comments

• Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    rsutton wrote: »
    I've known and worked with people like this. They don't want to acknowledge that IT is customer service industry & their career suffers because of it. The days of IT guys being jerks are over. /tear

I dont know about that. I really am not a people person, especially when it comes to technical issues. I am just not good with people, really got worse after I got back from Afghanistan in 03. Anyway, I work for a government agency where I am pretty much only systems and network and I never interface with the users. Its very rare. Even when i'm on call, the only people allowed to call us is techs. No disrespect to non technical people, I just dont have the patience to deal. And here, I dont have to.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, this guy was clearly an idiot... But let me just lament the amount of knowledge I have lost sonce I completed my MCITP Enterprise Admin. Back then I was helping people prepare for MCSE/MCSA examinations and I knew the theory cold. I could rescue a domain setup by a total n00b that couldn't even explain the difference between a TLDN and FQDN and had so fubared their SRV records by doing an improper AD install no one could authenticate or even ping the domain. I could recite obscure information about FSMOs and AD Sites and Replication.... But not any more. I just don't need that stuff to do my day-to-day job and if it isn't useful, it's all gone by now. Sad, sad...
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I used to be the same way Robert. Now that i'm not really required to know that obscure stuff anymore (used to be a senior net engineer, building server 2003 networks nearly weekly), I dont know it as well cold anymore. I'm working on a migration right now from novell to AD 2008 though so it's all coming back. Been focusing mostly on Cisco lately. I found that the MCITP didnt really help me learn much more than I already knew. The MCSE seemed to teach me more as I was going through it.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    "If you don't use it, you loose it."
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You think thts bad you should really work where i do.

I actually had a technology trainer who makes a LOT more than i do ask me what Active Directory is.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Most of our techs didnt even sysprep images until I had their supervisor enforce it.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think the sad part about all this is that my BOSS is like that. He implements things based on other peoples "tutorials" online and then when something breaks it takes him weeks to figure out what the problem is....so frustrating that I can do things faster, but he makes the big bucks because he is "certified" (and older). icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "If you don't use it, you loose it."

lose :p:D:D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I wonder how he received his job in the first place. I mean the employer should always quiz someone and then get them to do some physical tasks. Maybe he had too much going on in his mind, so he forgot I mean as we age we intend to forget things it is all human nature.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Sounds almost as bad as a full time tech where I am temping at. I called him in asking if he could prestage a computer account for me using the s/n and OU I was providing him as a computer name, and he was dumbfounded at my request.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Ok, now I'm curious. I don't have an MCSE2k, so, what is this DHCP you speak of?

Dynamik Has Cheerful Persona! Are you SURE you're an MCSE2k3, its the same thing....
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    bertieb wrote: »
    Sounds like the MCSE2K I interviewed a few years ago who didn't know what dhcp was....

But hey you still hired me LOL :D
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Ok, now I'm curious. I don't have an MCSE2k, so, what is this DHCP you speak of?

Dynamik, Hand me the Chips, Please.
    Dynamik Hoses Computer Periferals
    Dynamik Hosts Computer Pr0n * no need to find the new job, if this were true!*
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Can so relate to this recently.

Although I am starting to lose faith in the "ohh let them keep their papers they will get caught out soon" -in a classic recent example a Senior Systems Admin MCSE who loves to put that in his email signature recently tried to make me look stupid in a teleconference with senior staff at our HQ. Apparently guys you can't create DHCP reservations in exclusion range. New to me I said, pulled to one side I was (earbashing) for emailing a MS link stating this was possible to this clown with our entire helpdesk team copied in.

Just keep trying to remember Karma and hopefully some of the senior guys on this board will keep reminding that they don't let these types into their shops, It gives me just a little faith icon_sad.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I see that just about every day icon_sad.gif

And I see worse every day....they get promoted also !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Pash wrote: »
    Just keep trying to remember Karma and hopefully some of the senior guys on this board will keep reminding that they don't let these types into their shops, It gives me just a little faith icon_sad.gif

Keep the faith fella, those types are certainly not welcome* in our MS department, it's all about the team
    *Apart from dave0212, why oh why did we give him a job
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    And I see worse every day....they get promoted also !
    Person causes problem two ways to handle it:

1) take the time to document it and fire them, usually takes months
    2) promote them, usually takes days and no longer your problem

It's the way of the corporate world, jump onboard! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    rsutton wrote: »
    I've known and worked with people like this. They don't want to acknowledge that IT is customer service industry & their career suffers because of it. The days of IT guys being jerks are over. /tear
    These days will never end as long as users stay the same a good sample of engineers will continue to be/become jaded.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I don't want to judge him "by proxy", but guys maybe he knew a lot of other things, but forgot how to change a password.

I think we shouldn't judge an "entire" human being because they can't accomplish a particular task. Maybe he was very sick that day, maybe he did it intentionally, and so on. Maybe he got one of those "senior moments".
  • Options
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I don't want to judge him "by proxy", but guys maybe he knew a lot of other things, but forgot how to change a password.

I think we shouldn't judge an "entire" human being because they can't accomplish a particular task. Maybe he was very sick that day, maybe he did it intentionally, and so on. Maybe he got one of those "senior moments".

Bin, I agree with you for the most part. Any one on this forum knows I will deffend guys to the death when people call them dumpers just because they got a good score or because someone else thinks they passed the test too quickly. But I also have seen some stupid stuff in my life. And I am not judging the guy on a peronal level, but on a technical level... If he had ever studied for and actually passed the 2000 Server exam, he would have to know how to reset an AD password.

Now what I don't know is if th guy might have been asking something about procedures. "How do I reset a password?" but what he really meant to ask was "What process do I have to go through here to reset a password? How do I verify that the person with whom I am speaking is actually the person to whom the account actually belongs? How do I document the change?" But if he really didn't know how to use ADUC to reset a password... Well, I feel no sympathy for him... Sick, having a bad day, dog died, no excuse for a person in his role.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    Keep the faith fella, those types are certainly not welcome* in our MS department, it's all about the team
    *Apart from dave0212, why oh why did we give him a job

Thanks dude! haha

Your avatar rocks as well, my fave episode of blackadder that, if i do that here will that get me out of the trenches?

:D:D:D
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    My team was interviewing a candidate yesterday. I believe that whatever you put on your resume is FAIR GAME.
    So on his resume, he had the following : Merged antonymous Microsoft Exchange systems into a single domain. This was a task that was done duirng his employment between 2000-2003.
    So I asked him to elaborate on this task. He did, some what. Then I asked him which versions of Microsoft was used and he could not remember. Strike one.
    I also asked him about the CCIE written that he had taken and noted on his resume. He said that he was going to take the lab soon after someone pays for him to go to bootcamp. I was him when he took the CCIE written and his response was 4 years ago. I just nodded my head. Strike two
    I just looked at him. The guy was a sexist pig anyways. He mumbled something to the task manager about their being so many women on the team. Strike three.
    NEXT!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    if i do that here will that get me out of the trenches?

:D:D:D

Not a chance Pash, I've been wearing underpants on my head with pencils shoved up my nose shouting 'WIBBLE!' for the last seven yrs - increasingly so the way it's going at the moment icon_sad.gif Now remind me, how do I set a users password again? hehe
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    PC509 wrote: »
    Wow. It's things like that that really devalue the certifications that they hold. Some people are just dumb. Probably saw the ad "You can make 100k with your MCSE!" and went to the 6 week course, passed the exam and hit the IT industry with his "talent". WTF.

Actually its not just paper MCSA/E's fault. I had a few interviews some time ago and I was asked if I hold any certificates or not. At the time I had none, and offered to test my skills by answering their questions or by giving me a system to fix, correct and bring back to life.

I was told " Sorry but we are looking for somebody with a certificate, the skills do not really matter"
    As long as there is a need in a paper, it does not matter if you have the skills or not.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    It is not fair just like the world !!!!
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have co-workers like this too.. Our current team is required to be MCDST's to support our XP environment, a couple of us studied and passed (which wasn't all that hard, considering 3-4 yrs of daily XP support), but most used the testk|ng guide that the manager emailed out (don't get me started). One of the 10W bulb MCDST ladies phoned me not long ago, and asked me how to get someone's Outlook .PST file added to the account. She was completely in the dark as to how to add a data file.

Last week, my co-worker directly across from me left for lunch with her screen unlocked, so for fun, I took a screen cap of her Outlook and made it the background, so that when it locked, it would look unlocked.. She laughed, shook her finger at me, then asked me how to set another picture as a desktop background.. icon_eek.gif Trouble is, she actually one of the ones that studied properly.. icon_cry.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Piers wrote: »
    I have co-workers like this too.. Our current team is required to be MCDST's to support our XP environment, a couple of us studied and passed (which wasn't all that hard, considering 3-4 yrs of daily XP support), but most used the testk|ng guide that the manager emailed out (don't get me started). One of the 10W bulb MCDST ladies phoned me not long ago, and asked me how to get someone's Outlook .PST file added to the account. She was completely in the dark as to how to add a data file.

Now come off it... Just click in the obvious places till you find it! UUUGH!

You guys are really cracking me up with this stuff so I have to share a good one.

Guy with 2 years experience asked infront of a client, so I know he was not joking... "What's that command that shows you the network settings?"
    I said, "You mean IPCONFIG?" "Yeah, that's it."

2 years as a computer tech... How do you not know ipconfig and most of its options?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    2 years as a computer tech... How do you not know ipconfig and most of its options?

Because ifconfig keeps on returning 'ifconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Because ifconfig keeps on returning 'ifconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

HA!! Funny
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a list of some of the things that the people around me don’t know. Now none of them have any certifications, but all of them have been doing this for at least a year and some as long as 4 years.

- If the drivers don’t have an executable they can’t install it.
    - The difference between a volt and an ampere.
    - How to swap out a switch. (no configuration required and I even tell them what the trunk ports are)
    - The difference between a router and a switch.
    - Yes, I have people who don’t know what DHCP is either.
    - What RAM does.

That is what I remember off hand. I am sure there are other ones.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mauve%20has%20the%20most%20RAM2.JPG
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later