Options

I HATE paper MCPs

13»

Comments

• Options
    TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Came across so many paper MCSE coming in as contractors asking stochastic! questions and learning on the job while getting paid **** lot of many!
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hot off the presses, this occurred just a few minutes ago..

Same co-worker as before with the desktop background knowledge asked me out of the blue if I was able to recall messages in my Outlook. I didn't look but I know I can so I said Yep. She asked another co-worker nearby, after confirming that I hadn't recently reinstalled my system. I asked her "Did you open the message in your Sent Items?" , to which she replied Yes. I got up, looked at her screen and saw she was looking AT the Sent items and trying to recall from there. So I opened the message, and then navigated the two clicks to Recall Message, stared at her and repeated "Did you OPEN the message?"

She had actually been working on that for about 10 minutes, doing google searches and following the instructions she found there (I was taken aback a bit that she had to look it up, and even more so that she couldn't follow the instructions to do this).

I need out of here. bad

icon_study.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Interviews should definitely include validation of those skills, but you wont sit down and talk to me about a position, especially a senior level position, without some certifications. It shows me that you're serious about your career. You've taken the time to earn an industry standard credential or 2, like the A+ or Net+. That's important to me and most other hiring managers. You've made an investment in your career. If you dont care enough to invest in yourself, why should I hire you? I've worked really hard for every cert i've earned, spent lots of time and money. Same with my degrees. I made sure I learned not only the real world material, but also what the exam or class required of me.

Real world experience is great, and it should be backed up by theory. I've worked with guys that were routing and switching geniuses. Guys I looked up to early in my career. Until I found out they just knew the steps because they had done it so many times. Like monkeys, pushing a button. Not really understanding what that button did in the background or any of the theory behind the complex tasks they were doing. They had just learned how to "do" it. I vowed never to be like that. I would know how to do it and the theory behind it. The two are both important and a lot of times, at least for me, classroom learning (sometimes associated with certification training/self study) has taught me the theory behind things i'd done for years. The in-depth theory, you dont learn just from doing it. Just my .02
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Piers wrote: »
    hot off the presses, this occurred just a few minutes ago..

Same co-worker as before with the desktop background knowledge asked me out of the blue if I was able to recall messages in my Outlook. I didn't look but I know I can so I said Yep. She asked another co-worker nearby, after confirming that I hadn't recently reinstalled my system. I asked her "Did you open the message in your Sent Items?" , to which she replied Yes. I got up, looked at her screen and saw she was looking AT the Sent items and trying to recall from there. So I opened the message, and then navigated the two clicks to Recall Message, stared at her and repeated "Did you OPEN the message?"

She had actually been working on that for about 10 minutes, doing google searches and following the instructions she found there (I was taken aback a bit that she had to look it up, and even more so that she couldn't follow the instructions to do this).

I need out of here. bad

icon_study.gif

I guess she never had to do it before.

To be honest with you while I'm aware that you can recall a message I have never had to, neither do I know how to. I supported and installed several mixed Exchange environments years ago with no major problems. About the only time I saw a recall was when a Director sent an email in error to the company when he was really trying to send it to another Director for an opinion on something he had to announce to everyone. Kind of funny because many of us got the message anyway :)
  • Options
    mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I think someone should hit HIM with a book. Um, wow.

best post evar!
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No offense to anyone but some of you really seem on your high horse. I know of a lot of stuff needs to be covered and I can totally understand where a lot of you are coming from.

But a lot of the stuff I've nevered needed to do or better yet I've had a brain fart and totally forgotten a simple command but when I look it up or get told I'm like "oh duh"

I recently passed my MCDST and there are still sections I'm not that great on and damn lucky the weaker sections didn't come up to bite me in the butt.

Everyone is better at remember stuff then others and what not.

To stay on topic though I'm glad to read the guy quit because he had no business being hired in the first place. I find it funny he was an MCSE 2000 hold and not 2003. I'm working towards my MCSA and I really hope that I can prove to people my worth with the real world skills I've gained.

On the other hand this thread has shown me why certfications are important to a degree. Like I don't have my A+ and I have no intention of getting it because I've worked with computers for years before (while growing up) and honestly with a few years under my belt I really don't think I need an A+ ot prove my worth to anyone.

Sadly I've been rethinking that entire statement because of people getting high level good paying jobs knowing jack **** yet people like me and many others who bust their ass in help desk get paid bupkiss to do all the **** a system administrator or network admin doens't want to do gets worked more and paid less.

Sorry to ramble good thread it is a good read.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    wweboy, the difference is that its not just what you know but also your prowess in finding out what you dont know.

You cant tell me that with google out there and an amazing array of books that you'd actually have to call someone to ask how to reset a password. Infact looking at server 2003 for about 5 mins you would figure it out, even if youd never done it before.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    wweboy, the difference is that its not just what you know but also your prowess in finding out what you dont know.

You cant tell me that with google out there and an amazing array of books that you'd actually have to call someone to ask how to reset a password. Infact looking at server 2003 for about 5 mins you would figure it out, even if youd never done it before.

I agree with ya there! I think Google is my best friend and if I could I would marry Google.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nah, Google has too much dirt on you. She has a way of dredging up the past.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wweboy wrote: »

Sadly I've been rethinking that entire statement because of people getting high level good paying jobs knowing jack **** yet people like me and many others who bust their ass in help desk get paid bupkiss to do all the **** a system administrator or network admin doens't want to do gets worked more and paid less.

Sorry to ramble good thread it is a good read.

Do keep in mind that from what I've witnessed, those who get the good paying jobs but don't know squat usually don't keep their good paying jobs for long unless they are exceptionally good at floating from one company to another as they reach being discovered for what they truly are. Meanwhile, those that are hard working and appreciate knowledge gained are the ones that will eventually move up the line and secure a good paying job.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Fair points. But I think one of the problems is far too many poor techs rely on search engines. The key is knowing what to search for and importantly making sense of what comes back. Fitting the results to what you really need in your setting isn't always easy and requires knowledge. Add to which a lot of what you find isn't validated and could introduce lots of problems rather than offer a solution. Some things are difficult to search for as well, such as the design you really need for your network. Certainly useful though google and such.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    undomiel wrote: »
    Because ifconfig keeps on returning 'ifconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

ROFLMAO. It's been a long time since I have done something like that... Usually it was typing ls at a Windows command prompt. I am a better code switcher now.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm guilty of the ifconfig thing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    me too icon_redface.gif

and I definitely don't want to be on any high horse, I've also had my share of brain farts and the like, but when an MCDST (which makes her an XP support expert) with an average test score of 940 (better than my combined score) asks me how to change a background or recall a message, I shake my head. perhaps I was too quick to laugh and point, like a school kid or something.
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later