Options

My LUN took a vacation

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
So I am installing VCB yesterday. We have an IBM bladecenter H with seven blades. One of the blades will be our VCB proxy. I create a lun in the fiber-ttached SAN for Windows, and present it to the blade. I then install windows after installing the qlogic drivers. I install it onto the VCB lun, no problems. This is 03 Ent x86, but just to make sure I ensure that automount is disabled. It is. I then map the vmware luns to the VCB proxy blade. Still no problem. I go into disk management, and it sees the raw disks. I do nothing. I install a couple of other pieces of software, and nothing is going wrong. I arrogantly scoff at the next stranger I see because I am so brilliant. Ah, karma.

I join the blade to the domain. I reboot. I move on to looking at the integration module instructions. The phone rings. Problem connecting to mapped drives. Odd. The phone rings again. Can't print. Also odd. Phone rings again. Outlook is disconnected. <insert words here>

One of our luns disappeared. It would show up as being being present to the host under VI Client--> Configuration--> Storage Adaptors. But not under storage. The other vm lun is fine. The ESX servers boot luns are also fine. Both VM luns have been mapped to the VCB proxy. I reboot the vcb proxy blade. No change.

I contacted IBM support, and we attempted to restart the targets and the bus from the individual blade. No change. Eventually, we brought all of our blades down, and then rebooted the san. That resolved the problem. Everything resumed working normally. We didn't even have to browse the datastore that had disappeared to add machines to the inventory. The rep was unsure what would have caused this in the first place. He checked our VCB proxy, and said everything looked ok.

thoughts?

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Any interesting/unexpected events written to log files during all of this?
  • Options
    We had several "transient storage" type errors on the esx host itself. Nothing logged on the SAN.

John

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Was it necessary to reboot the VCB proxy blade after joining it to the domain? If not, why did you reboot it?
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Was it necessary to reboot the VCB proxy blade after joining it to the domain? If not, why did you reboot it?

Yes. After joining it to the domain, windows requires a reboot.

John

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you do a rescan on the ESX host?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Did you do a rescan on the ESX host?

Yes. Still didn't bring up the lun. It was a very strange situation.

John

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Set the preferred path right ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p