Options

Server 2008

lonomaclonomac Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I just got my Net+ and Sec+ out of the way,

I decided to build a mini lab and work on CCNA/Server Admin MCITP on it. I guess what I want to know is what does everyone do to practice on the 2008 server? Obviously I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an OS Ill never use at home so wondering what a cheap alternative is. I was also looking for a Vmware type of app to have several instances going. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    i believe you can get an eval copy thats good for 120 days. fully functional. i use my gaming system for study and have an external hd i store vmware ws files on. domain on the go.
  • Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    The MS Press Training kit for 70-640, 642, 643, 647 includes a 120 day eval version. I seem to remember that this is also downloadable w/out buying the kit. FWIW, the kit includes 4 15% off codes for the four tests.

I have an older server I setup for my MCITP lab, I've got several VM W2K8s and a VM Vista client on it, and it's been working out well so far.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also check out a Technet Plus subscription.
  • Options
    adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lonomac wrote: »
    Hey,

I just got my Net+ and Sec+ out of the way,

I decided to build a mini lab and work on CCNA/Server Admin MCITP on it. I guess what I want to know is what does everyone do to practice on the 2008 server? Obviously I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an OS Ill never use at home so wondering what a cheap alternative is. I was also looking for a Vmware type of app to have several instances going. Thanks

Have you tried Microsoft Virtual PC... I had installed Win 2008 server trial version on Virtual PC until I got the licensed version of VM ware and Windows 2008 from my company...
    Virtual PC works well.. and the trial version is for 60 days... which I think should be sufficient for at least one exam preparation..
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    The windows 2008 evals can be used for 180 days you just have to rearm it every 60 days
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP