Get around the serial cable?

elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have 2 1841's I brought home from work. They were connected to t1's so they had the csu/dsu connectoins and didn't require the serial connections. I searched ebay and couldn't find the serial inserts to go into the router.

Is there a way to get around this and use Lan cables? If not, where is a good place to pick up these parts since I can not find them on ebay!

Thanks

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Buy WIC-1T or WIC-2T cards. No point blowing any money on HWICs since the old WICs will do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure what you're asking.....

Do you have 2 1841s with T1 interfaces that you want to hook up back-to-back?

Or are you asking about WAN interface cards for lab use because the original T1 cards didn't come with the routers?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    If they both have WIC 1T cards (T1 cards) just make a T1 crossover cable and plug them into each other. Works just like a serial connection.
  • elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    These are 2 1841's, and looking at alot of labs they use the "Serial cable connections" so I wasnt sure if I needed to buy serial connections and such! But It seems that I can buy the wic 1t cards for each and then get a cross over!

Thanks for your help guys!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    These are 2 1841's, and looking at alot of labs they use the "Serial cable connections" so I wasnt sure if I needed to buy serial connections and such! But It seems that I can buy the wic 1t cards for each and then get a cross over!

Thanks for your help guys!

What do you currently have in the router, anything?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you currently have in the router, anything?

No, there are no cables, no external cards either. Just the routers. I did an erase start, removed the configs and started fresh with just a hostname so far.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well like the others said a wic-1T or wic-2T would be good with the associated DCE-DTE cables. You may want to read some of the other postings about how people have their own labs set up to get a better idea of what you want also.