Getting in a little over my head... :)

jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
So, I'm trying to setup my 2520 as a DHCP (for inside) / PAT "server", and I have found most of the documentation I need.

The only think I can't seem to find, mostly because my search terms return info pertaining to something else, is how to set the default gateway via dhcp.

If I set a route for 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to e0 nothing; however, if I also set the default-gateway to the ip address of, well, the default gateway - it works.

Shouldn't I be able to have that information get passed from the dhcp server that is on the other end of e0 (outside)?

I setup e0 - ip address dhcp and it get's IP/dns info, just no default gateway info, but my PC's get default gateway info... icon_confused.gif:

Thanks! :)

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A router that routes packets does not use the ip default gateway. You will need a default route, not default gateway. When an interface gets and address from DHCP it should place a static default route in the table (not in the running config). I'm not sure if that is the case with all versions of router/IOS though, I've only tried it on smaller model routers. You can check the routing table to know for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • behbeh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in dhcp-config mode use this command: default-router A.B.C.D

edit: where A.B.C.D is the ip address of the interface on the router that the DHCP clients are connecting to
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    ^^^ this is if your router is acting as a DHCP server then the users would use you as their default gateway

if you have int e0 ip address dhcp then to default out if you are not running a routing protocol on that interface you would do

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    kryolla wrote: »
    ^^^ this is if your router is acting as a DHCP server then the users would use you as their default gateway

if you have int e0 ip address dhcp then to default out if you are not running a routing protocol on that interface you would do

That's what I was missing!

Thanks everyone! icon_cheers.gif
  • behbeh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kryolla wrote: »

oops, misread the question. my mistake.