Options

Simulator questions on the exam

sandwichsandwich Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is there only one right configuration to the simulator questions? I know you can get partial credit for questions, but what if you achieve the desired result? I was testing this on the Boson practice exams. I did the configurations necessary for a problem and made the network 'work', but not in a way that the simulator wanted. It ended up being counted wrong. Is this how the real exam is like?

Comments

• Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html

Cisco Certification Exam Tutorial - Cisco Systems

I don't think you will have a problem with being able to configure it multiple ways. As long as the end result is achieved it will be counted. I'm not sure what else I can say about the sims on the exam that doesn't break the NDA. I can say that you will probably not have an issue just due to the way they are setup.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    sandwich wrote: »
    Is there only one right configuration to the simulator questions? I know you can get partial credit for questions, but what if you achieve the desired result? I was testing this on the Boson practice exams. I did the configurations necessary for a problem and made the network 'work', but not in a way that the simulator wanted. It ended up being counted wrong. Is this how the real exam is like?

I haven’t taken the test yet, so I can’t say for sure how it works; however, I can tell you this – I have never once read a post where someone has said, “I fail because of the simulator.”

I’m sure if you know the material, and some hands on or simulator experience, you will be fine. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    I can tell you this – I have never once read a post where someone has said, “I fail because of the simulator.”
    I have -- but it's usually because the person had no clue how to perform the task(s) they were asked. :D

I remember my first SIM -- 1 minute to figure out the SIM Layout and read the question and decide what to do, 1 minute to do the required configuration and check it 2 or 3 times, and 2 minutes wondering if that's all there was.
    I was testing this on the Boson practice exams. I did the configurations necessary for a problem and made the network 'work', but not in a way that the simulator wanted. It ended up being counted wrong. Is this how the real exam is like?
    Without knowing what that Boson SIM was, it's always possible you had a correct answer and it was just marked wrong. Did you email Boson about the problem?

But the key may be the "how they wanted" -- if the SIM Instructions IMPLIED they wanted you to do it one way and you did something else, then it's wrong.

If you're supposed to assign an IP Address to a remote Router interface and then verify it works -- putting the IP Address on another local Router interface and pinging that might "work" in a SIM -- but it doesn't complete the required task(s). Or putting the WRONG IP Address on an Interface and pinging that WRONG IP Address may "work" -- but you didn't meet the requirements.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sandwichsandwich Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Without knowing what that Boson SIM was, it's always possible you had a correct answer and it was just marked wrong. Did you email Boson about the problem?

But the key may be the "how they wanted" -- if the SIM Instructions IMPLIED they wanted you to do it one way and you did something else, then it's wrong.

If you're supposed to assign an IP Address to a remote Router interface and then verify it works -- putting the IP Address on another local Router interface and pinging that might "work" in a SIM -- but it doesn't complete the required task(s). Or putting the WRONG IP Address on an Interface and pinging that WRONG IP Address may "work" -- but you didn't meet the requirements.

I haven't emailed Boson.

It was just something like: Computer x can't ping Computer y. The two routers are currently using RIPv2. Make it work.

I figured out that RIP was missing a network it was connected to on one of the routers and fixed it the first time by adding it. Then I tried it another time by adding a static route which also fixed it, but that was marked wrong. I'm not sure if that's not following instructions. They never said anything about configuring RIP specifically.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    It was just something like: Computer x can't ping Computer y. The two routers are currently using RIPv2. Make it work.

I figured out that RIP was missing a network it was connected to on one of the routers and fixed it the first time by adding it. Then I tried it another time by adding a static route which also fixed it, but that was marked wrong. I'm not sure if that's not following instructions. They never said anything about configuring RIP specifically.

It was implied, and by the question you should be able to tell that you should not use static routing.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ahhhhhh.... the old "you don't fix a routing protocol issue by ignoring it and adding a static route" trick :D

All the Cisco exam SIMs I've seen have been clear about what the tasks are and what's required to solve any problems. If that had been a Cisco SIM, you would have failed because you didn't scroll down and see the instruction line about not using a static route :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!