Options

Symantec or Acronis?

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
Not business, personal use question.

I have a Vista Ultimate x64 laptop. As some of you may know, they dont come with a reinstall disk or anything (at least mine didnt, from HP). Lame, but hey, what are you gonna do?

At any rate, ive been reading up on Acronis True Image 2009 and Ghost 14. Both have good and bad reviews - ive never used either. I'm using NTbackup right now, but it stinks.

Anyway, what I want to do with it is keep an image of the C drive on an external drive for recovering files or reinstalling the OS in case of failure.

On a side note - does anyone know if you can use an image from Ghost 14 to install on a different machine / larger drive?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have True Image, and I love it.

I can also get you an ISO of that if you want. You're clearly licensed, so that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Acronis is great!

there are also free trials if you are curious.

I like Ghost, but Acronis is even easier to use, so as of late, I've been recommended Acronis to clients.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    I like Ghost and this handy dandy add-on as well:
    From the original Ghost developers comes...
    Universal Imaging Utility | Big Bang LLC
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    i guess i buy an acronis license then.

no other opinions?
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    brad- wrote: »
    On a side note - does anyone know if you can use an image from Ghost 14 to install on a different machine / larger drive?

Yes and no. If the machine has most of the same drivers it'll image over no problem. I should say no if it's not the same, but Vista/7 are really resilient in the driver department. I have put a ghost image of vista on a completely different machine and with some finageling gotten it to work.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Another vote for Acronis. I love it! :D
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I'm voting Acronis. I use the True Image and Disk Director apps all the time.

I have and still use Symantec periodicly. I'd see about downloading trials of both and running some tests.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Ordered Acronis tonight.

Side note - Amazon was $10 cheaper than newegg. It has always been instinctive for me to buy any personal tech stuff from newegg...forgot all about amazon. I use it for books etc...guess i'm going there for software too.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Acronis is the best ..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    use the built in backup, its free.
  • Options
    BTW, got Acronis Home 2009 the other night...love it. Imaging, cloning, wiping, file shredder, and the "Try&Decide" is something I've never seen before. Plus, it was relatively cheap from amazon.