Options

EIGRP Question

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
Hey guys,

Looking for some help to clear up a confusion that I have. There are two books I have currently read. ICDN1 and Routing Protocols and Concepts. Both Cisco Books. The Routing Protocols book says that EIGRP is NOT considered hybrid anymore that it is referred to as distance vector. In the ICND1 book, it is referred to as hybrid still. So, which is it? I just want to clarify it for future testing.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I call EIGRP lots of things...... and most of them are too rude to post here icon_lol.gif

It's a Distance Vector Protocol with some added features to compete better against the the Link-State Protocols, so the marketing wonks called it a Hybrid Protocol. icon_rolleyes.gif Calling it an Advanced Distance Vector Protocol is probably more accurate.

I doubt you'll get a question like
    What is EIGRP?
    A. A link-state routing protocol
    B. A distance vector routing protocol
    C. An advanced distance vector routing protocol
    D. A hybrid protocol
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
  • Options
    adam-badam-b Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe that the classical definition, in short, of a link state vs distance vector protocol is as follows.

distance vector: routers will advertise to their neighbors all of the routes in their routing table. Routers will only know what networks their directly connected neighbors can reach.

link state: routers will know what networks are directly connected to every other router within the topology or "area." So advertisements are not based upon what routes are in the routing table but on what networks are directly connected.

This is the easiest way for me to understand it.
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All I can say is limit the amount of books you read because each author will have their own opinion of what it is, but when it all dwells down to that test, buddy, there will only be one answer.icon_lol.gif I got confused just like that on the Security + exam.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I often see it referred to as an advanced distance vector protocol that has a lot of features of link state protocols.
  • Options
    adam-badam-b Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mella060 wrote: »
    I often see it referred to as an advanced distance vector protocol that has a lot of features of link state protocols.

What features of link state protocols does it have?
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    It keeps a topology table and forms neighbor relationships. Those are two big Link State comparisons. It also has pretty fast convergence as well.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get a question like
    What is EIGRP?
    A. A link-state routing protocol
    B. A distance vector routing protocol
    C. An advanced distance vector routing protocol
    D. A hybrid protocol

Wouldn't it be funny if there was a question like that on the exam. Mike, you would have to moderate you own post! icon_wink.gif