Options

procurement list for CCVP lab (hardware)

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm trying to put together my procurement list for building a CCNA:Voice/CCVP lab at my work.

I would appreciate if I could get some feedback that I'm procuring the correct stuff.

We've already got four Cisco 2811, Cat 3550, and lots of WIC-1T's. Using the CCBOOTCAMP multisite WAN as my design guide:

http://www.ccbootcamp.com/collateral/racks/diagram-voice.pdf

1) Going to purchase six or seven 7960Gs.

2) BR1 Router (SRST)
Cisco 2811 (already have)
1 x WIC-1T (already have; for frame relay)
1 x VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E (for PSTN)
1 x PVDM2-8
1 x FL-SRST-25= (Feat Lic Survivable Remote Site Telephony Up To 25 Users)
1 x MEM2800-128CF= (need 128 MB flash)

3) BR2 Router (CCME & CUE)
1 x VWCI2-1MTF-T1/E1 (for PSTN)
1 x PVDM2-8
1 x NME-CUE
1 x FL-CCME-25= (Feat Lic Communications Manager Express Up To 25 Users)
1 x MEM2800-128CF= (need 128 MB flash)

4) WAN/PSTN router
3 x WIC-1T (already have; for frame relay)
1 x NM-HDV2-2T1/E1 (for PSTN)
1 x VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 (for PSTN)
1 x VIC2-2FXO
1 x PVDM2-8

5) HQ router
Catalyst 3550 (already have)
1 x VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 (for PSTN)
1 x VIC3-2FXS/DID
1 x PVDM2-8

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice setup you have there – Unless you are hooking the PSTN router up to real POTS trunks (not a good idea for 911 testing :) ), swap the FXO card in the PSTN router with the FXS card in the HQ router so that you can simulate POTS calling to the PSTN cloud.

Also as long as you have access to Voice IOS files (support contract), everything will work fine without purchasing the feature licenses - Of course not a good practice for production routers!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    Nice setup you have there – Unless you are hooking the PSTN router up to real POTS trunks (not a good idea for 911 testing :) ), swap the FXO card in the PSTN router with the FXS card in the HQ router so that you can simulate POTS calling to the PSTN cloud.

Ok it makes sense to have FXS ports on the PSTN cloud but what would be the point of FXO ports at the HQ?

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Options
    FattyAcid wrote: »
    Ok it makes sense to have FXS ports on the PSTN cloud but what would be the point of FXO ports at the HQ?

Thanks for your feedback!

You can connect the 2 FXO ports @ the HQ to the 2 FXS ports in the PSTN cloud router to simulate 2 POTS backup lines. Then setup dial-peers (or CM) @ HQ to use them in the event of a PRI outage.
  • Options
    Hmmm--working with this equipment now. I really need more PVDM2 DSP's in hindsight. I should have bought at least a PVDM2-16 for each router.
  • Options
    NICE! Just break the PRI groups into smaller bundles. No need for the full 23 voice channels in the lab. Extra DSP resources will come in handy for things like conferencing though.
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    NICE! Just break the PRI groups into smaller bundles. No need for the full 23 voice channels in the lab. Extra DSP resources will come in handy for things like conferencing though.

But it's hard to test some things simultaneously. If I configure the PRI with 1 timeslot, install the FXS board (which eats up two of the DSP channels), I'm down to 5 channels left on the PVDM2-8--but conferencing seems to want its own 8 channels (max sessions still stuck at 0)...so the same router can't hold a conference bridge host on the router between a phone on an FXS port, a remote phone (reached via the PRI), and a local IP Phone registered with CallManager. Of course I can just steal the PDVDM2 from another router temporarily, but it's annoying.
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, what a cutting-edge lab!! I only have 1760V routers coz our budget is shrinking faster than my balls (after a crazy night at Las Vegas).