Options

slow connection!!!

Kerry_20Kerry_20 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a computer that connects to the internet by dial-up. I have a 56k modem but my internet connection connects less than 28K, 99% of the time. I installed a new modem today and it is doing the same thing. I thought it could be the phone lines but I checked that out as well. Does anybody have any idea what is wrong here? I also updated the system from windows 98 to windows XP Pro.

--Kerry icon_idea.gif

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    When you checked the phone line, what exactly did you do?

You could try changing your phone cord.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would guess it's either old phone lines or noise in the phone line. I would ask the phone company when the lines were put in. If indeed that is the problem, I've heard that replacing them is too costly and the phone company won't do it.

However, I'm not an expert, but that is my best guess. :D
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Sometimes it can be that your loop length is too long to support a 56K connection. Not necessarily bad phone lines, but too far to give a higher speed connection.

Here's a decent resource: http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml#ad
  • Options
    I have tried everything!! It's got to be bad phone lines. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!

--Kerry :D
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You can never expect a modem to connect at 56k- ever. :D If you want to check the line for noise - get a tester (butt set) & clip it onto the line & listen for the noise. If its just a bad line, you'll loose data connectivity and connection alot & you will KNOW its bad line. For slow speeds, you just have a suck connection. My advice- get cable... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Agree with Garv. My house is one of few in the neighborhood that have cable internet. It's always, very fast, as long a sites servers are fast.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just checking...is ur modem max speed set at 28k... that maybe the problem
  • Options
    Where do you check the modems max speed? I'm guessing the speed will default to its max. It connected at 38k the first few times then just quit. Now it connects less than 28 every time.

--Kerry
  • Options
    awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kerry_20 wrote:
    Where do you check the modems max speed? I'm guessing the speed will default to its max. It connected at 38k the first few times then just quit. Now it connects less than 28 every time.

--Kerry

control panel -> phone and modem options

->modem tab -> select modem -> modem properties

->under modem tab -> max port speed and choose the max figure which should be 115200 which is max for 56k.

where I live, in the UK , the situ was i use to have a dial up connection..my mate had a similar problem ..he found out his modem speed was wrong and thats why his one connected at low speeds! Other than that , it could be ur ISP.. as u said it connects at diff speeds. i know my connection varied ...but in the 40k -48k range when i connected. Busy times lower bandwidth available.

If it was a telephone line .. i would only think that there was work going on to ur telephone exchange ..so that be up to telephone company -ringup and find outl otherwise ringup ur ISP!