Options

MCITP question

I was curious does the MCITP get as much recognition as the MCSE? I was concerned since it takes 5 exams instead of 7 exams that the MCITP might look too easy.

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    While I am not sure how it is where you live, but where I am at, not too many recruiters or hiring managers even know what the MCTS/MCITP certs are. I am not even sure I have seen a single job posting asking for them as a desired/required cert.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I think there's just a general lack of awareness as to what the MCITP even is as opposed to it being five exams vs. seven.
  • Options
    SELBYSHISELBYSHI Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any...to ..help...me...i need..hlp,i dont understand.windows 7 is out what's going to happen with vista and exam?
    SELBY MGIBA
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Either one will count to an MCITP:EA. You just choose if you want to do Vista or Windows 7 is my understanding.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    SELBYSHISELBYSHI Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i passed my exam 620 and i want to take 622 month end i dont have practice exam anthing you know about practice axam for 622?
    SELBY MGIBA
  • Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    The MCSE cert has been around since the '90s. The MCITP is only a couple years old. There were almost 400,000 MCSEs on NT4. There's <20,000 MCITPs. However, the MCSE will be retired when mainstream support for Windows Server 2003 ends. If I was starting out fresh, I'd be doing the MCITP track, no question about it.

I've never been impressed with hiring managers, so the fact that they don't know what the new cert is doesn't surprise me. Hopefully their internal tech people will know what it is.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    I've never been impressed with hiring managers, so the fact that they don't know what the new cert is doesn't surprise me. Hopefully their internal tech people will know what it is.

And how are they going to help you land a job? icon_lol.gif

You still need to get your resume pulled and called in for an interview with them.
  • Options
    The first line of my resume would highlight the new MCITP cert, along with a brief comment that this is Microsoft's newest cert for Windows Server 2008. If that, along with all the legacy Microsoft stuff doesn't jump out, then I've made my point.

I wouldn't let the lack of familiarity with the MCITP cert on the part of HR be a factor in going that route.
    MCTS
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    yeah I've been in the IT field for 5 years but I just got my first cert last friday.I'm currently going for the MCITP:EA.I was just afraid I made a bad choice by doing the MCITP instead of the MCSE.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    just refer to it as MCSE 2008 on your resume as well as MCITP
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sadly that is true. I have seen more postings of MCSE 2008 than MCITP on postings.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    tdean wrote: »
    just refer to it as MCSE 2008 on your resume as well as MCITP

I joked about doing that awhile ago. Is it catching on? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I joked about doing that awhile ago. Is it catching on? icon_lol.gif

This seems to be the case. I've seen quite a few job ads here in the UK that state MCSE 2003/MCSE 2008. *sigh*

PS. I'll pass on your details to Microsoft who are wondering why the money spent on MCITP marketing (ok, it's not a lot lol) has been negated by a certain individual who insisted the MCSE is not dead, and subsequently launched a campaign to promote the MCSE 2008 :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    The difference is this. MCSE = 7 exams and MCITP EA = 5 exams. This is because if you do MCITP EA you will gain only windows networking system knowledge because you will only do windows server and client OS exams. If you do a MCSE you will learn about windows networking systems and also about other Microsoft technology knowledge, such as Windows Exchange Server, Windows SQL Server, Isa server etc depending on what you pick of course. Technically someone with a MCSE will know more about Windows than an individual who has a MCITP EA. But a MCSE is equalant to a MCITP EA.

Also Windows Server 2008 will soon replace Windows Server 2003 and by then MCITP EA will be in demand more. A lot of people now who are MCSE are upgrading to MCITP EA.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The difference is this. MCSE = 7 exams and MCITP EA = 5 exams. This is because if you do MCITP EA you will gain only windows networking system knowledge because you will only do windows server and client OS exams. If you do a MCSE you will learn about windows networking systems and also about other Microsoft technology knowledge, such as Windows Exchange Server, Windows SQL Server, Isa server etc depending on what you pick of course. Technically someone with a MCSE will know more about Windows than an individual who has a MCITP EA. But a MCSE is equalant to a MCITP EA.

Also Windows Server 2008 will soon replace Windows Server 2003 and by then MCITP EA will be in demand more. A lot of people now who are MCSE are upgrading to MCITP EA.

Umm, what?

There is no requirement for Exchange, SQL or ISA in the MCSE 2003 track. You can choose almost anything as an elective - even CompTIA exams - and if you chose Vista or Windows 7 you would only learn 'windows networking systems'. By no means does an MCSE know more about Windows than an MCITP EA.

The MCITP was created for several reasons. A big one was the use of the word 'Engineer' in the MCSE title. Another was the separation into job roles rather than lump everyone together into the server track. For example, you no longer have to go through all the MCSE exams to have any high-level certification as an Exchange administrator. The job roles are all separate tracks, so if you work with Exchange and never perform desktop support there is no reason to take a windows client exam.

It seems that Microsoft not only needs to better market the MCITP so it is understood by hiring managers, but also members of the certification community as well.
  • Options
    I wish they never changed the title name the engineer status sounds much better.
  • Options
    texasit wrote: »
    I wish they never changed the title name the engineer status sounds much better.

YouTube - South Park Uncut - Song - Blame Canada (NSFW lyrics)
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Yeah claymoore i ment you could do those Exchange, Sql, Isa depending on what you pick meaning it is in the electives field. Yeah you are so correct about the engineer name thingy in the mcse title
  • Options

lol now I know who to blame. Well when I finish my server 08 exams I think I will just tell everyone I'm a MCSE 2008 instead of a MCITP:EA.
  • Options
    lol now I know who to blame.

I wasn't being completely silly either; Canada was one of the ones that objected to having "engineer" in the title.
  • Options
    I wasn't being completely silly either; Canada was one of the ones that objected to having "engineer" in the title.

I believe you I just didn't know that canada had a problem with it.The MCSE may not require a Bachelors degree in Engineering but getting the cert isn't exactly easy.I guess someone who isn't an IT pro wouldn't understand that.Damn civil and those other engineers!
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    I believe you I just didn't know that canada had a problem with it.The MCSE may not require a Bachelors degree in Engineering but getting the cert isn't exactly easy.I guess someone who isn't an IT pro wouldn't understand that.Damn civil and those other engineers!

I can sympathise with the feelings of many of my fellow "professional" engineers in the UK - where "Engineer" is not a protected title but "Architect" is - who get frustrated by the glib way that many people use the term Engineer. The guy who comes out to fix your washing machine is not an engineer, whatever he or his employers might say. An engineer is not someone who messes about with engines. An engineer is someone who uses ingenuity. That's where the word comes from.

However, an engineer is also not necessarily somebody with an engineering degree. Some of the UK's - and the world's - best engineers had little formal academic training in the subject. George Stephenson and Isambard Kingdom Brunel are 2 names which springs to mind.

The greater problem for engineers of whatever kind is the modern tendency to "rebrand" for various reasons - the replacement of MCSE with MCITP is one example of this. On these boards, we can all wrap our heads around the change - but employers and the public at large are just confused.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    Go ahead, strip me of my "engineer" status...
    But a guy who drives a subway train is an engineer, lol.
    MCTS
  • Options
    The guys who made me lunch yesterday were a Value-Meal Architect and a Sandwich Engineer. Sad thing is, it's probably difficult to tell if I'm being serious...
  • Options
    The guys who made me lunch yesterday were a Value-Meal Architect and a Sandwich Engineer. Sad thing is, it's probably difficult to tell if I'm being serious...

Yup. Then you have the "nail technician"...and I don't mean the guy who shingles your roof :).
    MCTS
  • Options
    lol I forgot about those so called "engineers". The subway sandwich engineer is funny I remember seeing that when I got a sandwich at subway.That sort of thing devalues the engineer title but not someone who combines years of exp and months of studying to achieve a MCSE.Screw it, the next time a engineer's computer breaks in my company I'll let him fix it lol.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, I think there's just a general lack of awareness as to what the MCITP even is as opposed to it being five exams vs. seven.

x2, plus not a lot of companies have upgraded to 2008 yet.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    x2, plus not a lot of companies have upgraded to 2008 yet.

We are on to the second release of 2008. Don't be supprised if you see some massive shifts to 2008/2008r2.

Honestly, I think 2008R2 is a massive boost in capability from 2003R2 (and even more so from 2000). And 2008 will run on pretty crappy equipment. I have a friend who has it running (not core, full 200icon_cool.gif on a Celeron 950 with 512mb of ram in an old IBM X300. It runs his house DNS and works as a terminal server.

I know a client of mine is shifting straight from 2000 to 2008 right now.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□

Lmao, very funny Dynamik.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup: