Options

CCNA3 Exploration LAN Switching and Wireless V4 - Finding it hard!

curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Enrolled in that class, managed to get through chapters 1 and 2 fair easily, struggling on chapter 3, the information within this chapter seems to not make much sense perhaps cisco aren't always that great in getting technically complex information across.

What should I do?

I'm trying to get Semesters 3 and 4 done before I go off to Uni in early Oct! Maybe even if the cert, but I know i'll be pushing my luck, just wanted to put that front to rest for a while, 3 years of peace on that aspect anyway hehe!

I've not really struggled until now, progressed through semesters 1 and 2 nicely, the first two out of the 7 chapters on this course ok, only got hit hard now!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    See if you can find another book that breaks it down in a style that works for you, or pick up the CBTNuggets or Train Signals videos – they are very good!
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    See if you can find another book that breaks it down in a style that works for you, or pick up the CBTNuggets or Train Signals videos – they are very good!

Agreed!
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    curtisdaley,
    Enrolled in that class, managed to get through chapters 1 and 2 fair easily, struggling on chapter 3, the information within this chapter seems to not make much sense perhaps cisco aren't always that great in getting technically complex information across.

What should I do?

What you should do is start asking questions so we can help you become unconfused about the material. What is the title of chapter 3?
    I'm trying to get Semesters 3 and 4 done before I go off to Uni in early Oct! Maybe even if the cert, but I know i'll be pushing my luck, just wanted to put that front to rest for a while, 3 years of peace on that aspect anyway hehe!

I've not really struggled until now, progressed through semesters 1 and 2 nicely, the first two out of the 7 chapters on this course ok, only got hit hard now!

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What is the title of chapter 3?
    I was wondering that -- so I logged into the Network Academy and checked....

Chapter 3 VLANS
    Explain the role of VLANs in a network.
    Explain the role of trunking VLANs in a network.
    Configure VLANs on the switches in a network topology.
    Troubleshoot the common software or hardware configuration problems associated with VLANs on switches in a network topology.

Hum.... doesn't look to hard icon_lol.gif

So what's the problem?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    ahhh Vlans icon_smile.gif lol

keep going over the material, make sure you fidn some other sources if what you have isnt sinking in
    and start asking questions here icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    I'll read over it again a few times already have done, still a bit tricky, i'm up to Trunking Modes, i'll continue this tomorrow, got a nice packet tracker simulation thing or whatever that should reinforce learning, then a section on configuring vlans and trunks the syntaxes for it and stuff then troubleshooting, few practical/virtual labs, chapter review and quiz! I'll give it a better stab from tomorrow! The actual CCNA certification did you find it hard readers?
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mikej412,
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I was wondering that -- so I logged into the Network Academy and checked....

Shhhh, I was asking curtisdaley. :)

mikej412 wrote: »
    Chapter 3 VLANS

Hum.... doesn't look to hard icon_lol.gif

So what's the problem?
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You really need some hands on for it to sink in. Only after you spend a lot of time with Packet Tracer will it sink in.

Maybe read a book like Todd Lammles CCNA study guide as well. He has a heap of labs that you can setup in Packet Tracer.

Also the cisco press books by Wendell Odom are really good.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shhhh, I was asking curtisdaley. :)
    Yeah, I know. But curiosity got the better of me. :D

I'll let you ask him to explain the role of VLANs in a network -- and I promise to keep quiet. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice guys, i've restarted the chapter, with most of the chapters i've done in all 3 courses i've just stormed through the packet tracer activities and hands on labs, its the only way you can drum it in properly!

Isn't a VLAN like separating one physical network into several logical networks? Is my concept correct? It's weird I was one of the last in my class to pass CCNA1 but the first two pass CCNA2, I'm really getting to love it, I just want to storm through get my CCNA and then go down the pub you know what us English guys are like lol!
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A Vlan is basically breaking up broadcast domains. You are taking a physical switch with ports which has default vlan of 1 with all the ports in that vlan which is one entire broadcast domain. So here is example of Vlan that you might want to create for different departments that only need to talk to themself and not broadcast to the other deptmartments. Help with Broadcast Storms. Check out CBT Nuggets video and Train Signal it is explain really well.

Vlan 4 = Sales Port FE 0/1 - 0/5 One Broadcast Domain
    Vlan 2 = Marketing Port FE 0/6 - 0/10 One Broadcast Domain
    Vlan 3 = Administrative Port FE 0/10 - 0/24 One Broadcast Domain
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By the way I will go to the Pub with you and we can talk about it over some drinks as might get it then :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Vlan 4 = Sales Port FE 0/1 - 0/5 One Broadcast Domain
    Vlan 2 = Marketing Port FE 0/6 - 0/10 One Broadcast Domain
    Vlan 3 = Administrative Port FE 0/10 - 0/24 One Broadcast Domain

Slight problem with your interface ranges, but same idea I suppose icon_lol.gif

Just remember a switch only creates multiple collision domains, it's still one big broadcast domain. VLAN's allow you to segment the broadcast into smaller domains. VLAN's/VTP is pretty easy.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    Yeah I understand the comments from the last two posters in this thread, it was on the first few slides of that chapter, i think i just need to read the types of vlans closer and perhaps after completing all the practical activities i might be solid on it! Yeah i England we go to the pub after passing our exams, I did with CCNA2 at least and my College Diploma!