Options

Ccna study hours

Haruna Umar AdogaHaruna Umar Adoga Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi, am kind of new in the forum, am currently a ccna2 student and am also preparing for the 640-802 exams using the tod lammle's guide and boson netsim.
need you guys help on how many hours am suppose to give in 24hrs to the study, i seem not to be moving fast enough.
am actually unemployed at the moment so i can put in all it takes,
pls i need your advice

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually give an hour to two to watch videos and do some reading at night. I do this almost every night. Some nights I can't since the kids are demanding and I am going to school fulltime. I have learned alot in the last few weeks though. More then I knew so I know that my study habits are working. Right now I am watching everything over again and then going to start practicing subnetting but I have it down but time for speed. I also plan to redo my lab since got alot of new equipment. Once you start trust me you will be okay. I think 2 - 5 hours is good. Just do not do overload like I was. Take your time and understand the material.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I find that I can't study for very long at home due to too many distractions (XBOX/PS3/Computer/Beer etc). I get my best studying done away from home, the coffee shop works well if it is quite. I also take the train to work which is another solid study time for me personally.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    hi, am kind of new in the forum, am currently a ccna2 student and am also preparing for the 640-802 exams using the tod lammle's guide and boson netsim.
    need you guys help on how many hours am suppose to give in 24hrs to the study, i seem not to be moving fast enough.
    am actually unemployed at the moment so i can put in all it takes,
    pls i need your advice

As you're unemployed, and if you have no other commitments during the day, you could treat studying as your day job.

Start at the same time every day, with set breaks and half an hour for lunch, moving on to the next subject when the previous subject is fully understood.

Prob the best piece of advice I got given was to book the test straight away for say 3 months time. This gives you a deadline and something to work towards.

Or and know how to subnet as easily as you can count to 10.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Almost same situation here... Tried the INTRO/ICND track a couple of years ago. Passed the INTRO but failed on 2 attempts at ICND and pretty miserably. Time management was the issue. Second attempt I scored even lower than the first.

With my INTRO exam expiring I decided to start again and ordered all new texts (CiscoPress CCENT/ICND2 by Wendell Odom). I also have a basic lab at home.

Recently became unemployed so now the routine is to continue to get up early in the morning, take care of the dog's needs, fix myself some breakfast then settle down for several hours while it's quiet and I can get some serious study/practice time.

Passed INCD1 last month so now at least got the CCENT and am about halfway through the ICND2 book. I'll take another 2-3 weeks of review and study time before taking that exam.

I'll get there...
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    When I decide on an exam I want to take, I purchase the books or equipment and lightly read through the book (not taking notes) for maybe an hour or so a night after work. When I book the exam (usually 2 weeks in advance), I rev up the study to a solid 2-3 hours a night (taking notes, labbing up properly, doing configurations on paper, etc).

Everyone's different though, just make sure you take the time to really learn and understand the material - a cert is nothing if you can't back it up on the job.
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just focus, you can do it, believe in yourself, i thought i was going to fail my ccna exploration semester 2 - routing protocols and concepts, but because i revised for it properly, ie reading the end of chapter reviews, doing all the packet tracer activities and labs, doing the quizes, making sure i knew the topics inside out, allowed me to score over 80% on the final! I'm in SM3 - LAN Switching and Wirless now and i'm continuing to present that attitude to my studies and this is allowing me to progress though this course smoothly, i will do the same with 4, like any exam, if you prepare for it properly, you should pass and with flying colours, i remember when i had a module i found extremely hard on my college diploma, computer architecture, i didn't get much out of my lecturers sessions, but as i put the work in, i stormed through all 6 exams, covering text coding through to number system, so from ASCII to Floating Point scoring very highly! Are you doing Exploration or Discovery and how did you find 1 compared 2 - semesters i mean?
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would also agree to book your exam around three months in advanced. I did this. My exam is November 21st. Counting down the days. It gives you a time frame to work toward.
  • Options
    Haruna Umar AdogaHaruna Umar Adoga Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the help, i really appreciate it.
    We are using exploration for the Academy and the first semester was ok for me. Thanks alot
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats good man! Looking forward to completing your CCNA then?