Options

Windows 7 RTM

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
So the (legit) RTM version of Windows 7 is due out tomorrow. Does anyone know what time MS usually throws stuff out there on TechNet? If it's early enough tomorrow I'm going to hook up a spare laptop to our backup Comcast connection to try to bring it in (and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM if at all possible). :D
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The note I got from Microsoft stated that Technet subscribers could access it tomorrow. Volume license customers with active SA can get it on 8/7. (English only)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can probably be the servers will be hammered starting tomorrow and on into the first part of next week.
  • Options
    Aaand we've apparently got our first showstopper bug:

Critical Windows 7 bug risks derailing product launch | Windows - InfoWorld
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I would hardly call that bug a show stopper...
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    I would hardly call that bug a show stopper...

Agreed. Bugs like this are why we have windows update. Are you really going to run chkdsk immediately after an install without running windows updates first?

As for the blogger who said:
    Worse still, user comments suggest that Windows Server 2008 R2 suffers from the same flaw. So while the act of running chkdsk.exe under Windows 7 might not be a common occurrence for most users, it is in fact something that server administrators do quite regularly to ensure volume integrity.

Well, I honestly can't remember the last time I ran chkdsk on a server. In fact, I can't remember the last time I ran chkdsk on a workstation from inside the OS rather than from Windows PE or a boot disk.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I ran chkdsk on a workstation from inside the OS rather than from Windows PE or a boot disk.

Aye matey, chkdsk is a dish best served from CD.
  • Options
    The only thing that really concerned me was the part about it running non-elevated, so that it could be exploited if not patched... but I don't think you'll be seeing people not patching after they install.

Either way I'm going to maintain my general rule of test, test, test then don't deploy in production until it's been out for 6 months or until first service pack.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Most people dont run chkdsk that often with Vista/08 because of Self Healing NTFS, anyway
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 7 (Retail) now on Technet / MSDN available ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Windows 7 (Retail) now on Technet / MSDN available ..

Guess I know what my plans for this evening are now :D

EDIT: Or not... not with the transfer rate I'm getting icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Guess I know what my plans for this evening are now :D

EDIT: Or not... not with the transfer rate I'm getting icon_sad.gif

Shocking .. :D:D:D

I get 200-300k .. not too bad .. could be worse .. when Vista was released I got like 5 :D:D
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    How much is this Technet?? Is this the same thing you get access to when you are MCP??

Sorry if this is a dumb ass question, lol
  • Options
    Lee H wrote: »
    How much is this Technet?? Is this the same thing you get access to when you are MCP??

.. more like MSDN

You get every single Microsoft software for training purposes.
    You can get a subs for a single user or a single server.

More info : Microsoft TechNet Home Page (United Kingdom - English)

Prices : TechNet How To Buy
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Lee H wrote: »

You can get it for $249 a year. You can download a full working registered never expires copy of pretty much any Microsoft software/OS you want. Server 2003/2008, Windows XP/Vista/7. Well worth the price! You just can't use any of the software in a production environment. You can only use it for "learning".
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    You can get it for $249 a year. You can download a full working registered never expires copy of pretty much any Microsoft software/OS you want. Server 2003/2008, Windows XP/Vista/7. Well worth the price! You just can't use any of the software in a production environment. You can only use it for "learning".

I bought my technet direct subscription last year for $350. My renewal is coming up and the fee is now $250. Im not sure if im getting a break for renewing, or thats the new price. Check on the technet site for pricing.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    MSDNAA (student version of MSDN) doesn't have it up yet, I guess I'll ask the instructor in charge of the program when it'll be up. I kinda wish it would go up on DreamSpark but I think it just has Server versions not clients.

I found a older link I had about making Server 2008 into a client workstation; I wonder if they can make R2 into a workstation like W7. There's a link on top that has instructions on how to turn R2 into a workstation but I'm not sure if it would be like W7.

Link: Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation!
  • Options
    Someone who's an admin at a school for MSDNAA said he saw it out there (can't remember which site I saw that on, think it was in the TechNet forums), looks like they have to approve it first before the students can jump on it.
  • Options
    snadam wrote: »
    I bought my technet direct subscription last year for $350. My renewal is coming up and the fee is now $250. Im not sure if im getting a break for renewing, or thats the new price. Check on the technet site for pricing.
    The regular price is $350, but if you just do a google search for "technet discount codes" or something like that you'll find lots of them. Most are for like $50 off, but dig deep and you'll find a $100 discount code like I did. The renewal is $250.
  • Options
    Downloading Windows 7 Ultimate right now. Anyone actually used it yet?
  • Options
    Using it right now, pretty nifty OS (I played with the beta for all of maybe 10 minutes in a VM before).
  • Options
    bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    Downloading Windows 7 Ultimate right now. Anyone actually used it yet?

Hmmm, the download links for Ultimate and Enterprise are grayed out when I log into Technet... Bummer!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,052 Admin
    bikeandski wrote: »
    Hmmm, the download links for Ultimate and Enterprise are grayed out when I log into Technet... Bummer!
    Read the Details section for each W7 download. The Enterprise and Ultimate editions of W7 are currently only for download by eligible subscribers on Top Downloads. All the downloads work for me from my MSDN account, but I'm staying with the RC on my workstation until I get my Pro activation key in October. However, I'll still download and play with all the W7 RTMs in VMWare ESXi Server. :D
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Read the Details section for each W7 download. The Enterprise and Ultimate editions of W7 are currently only for download by eligible subscribers on Top Downloads. All the downloads work for me from my MSDN account, but I'm staying with the RC on my workstation until I get my Pro activation key in October. However, I'll still download and play with all the W7 RTMs in VMWare ESXi Server. :D

They must have changed it - wasn't on Top Downloads yesterday ..

Anyway - for all Microshaft partner : You can get SPLA keys already :)
  • Options
    Ok, got the isos now on my webserver.

Not sure if it is legal to provide a mirror of the MSDN isos .. If someone can clarify that then I am happy to post some URLs.

SHOULD be ok considering I won't post keys obviously .. not 100% sure though ..
  • Options
    Let us know if you get it working in ESXi, I had problems with running R2 Server.

MVLS site has our keys posted for Win7 and 2008 R2 but no downloads yet.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

Ah, thank you!
  • Options
    MVLS has Windows 7 Professional, but no R2 Server yet.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    MVLS has Windows 7 Professional, but no R2 Server yet.

They pulled it .. I did see the iso and when I hit download, I got "cannot be find". Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled 2008R2 due to the chkdsk bug which they probably think isn't a big issue for the consumer marked (and will be fixed using wupdates) but obviously might be a big one on mission critical server.
  • Options
    Interesting...
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    does this mean that r2 is officially rtm?