Options

Clearwire!!! What do you think?

XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Everyone

Have any of you heard about this new technology called Clearwire?

About Clearwire Corporation

Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation, (NASDAQ: CLWR), offers a robust suite of advanced high-speed Internet services to consumers and businesses. As part of a multi-year network build-out plan, Clearwire’s 4G service, called CLEAR™, will be available in major metropolitan areas across the U.S, and bring together an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility. Clearwire’s open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides unmatched network capacity to deliver next generation broadband access. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire currently provides 4G service, utilizing WiMAX technology in two markets and provides pre-WiMAX communications services in 50 markets across the U.S. and Europe. Headquartered in Kirkland, Wash., additional information about Clearwire is available at www.clearwire.com.

from clearwire newsroom

I know its a recession but I know I had also seen some job openings in some cities if you all want to take a look

http://www.clearwire.apply2jobs.com/icon_exclaim.gif
LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Quite familiar with them, they've been making a big marketing push in the Atlanta area recently.

A few guys at work have tried their service. It's alright, speeds are about comparable to AT&T's DSL offerings. It is kind of cool that you can essentially haul a portable hotspot around the city with you.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was using it for some time here in Texas. Speed was decent, it's just the latency that killed me... 200ms was considered excelent. Just can't play games with that, was the only real problem.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the mobile usb from them. Didn't work in some places i went. Mainly the library and my house. But it worked enough for me at Starbucks, so that's where I spent most of my time, when studying for my last exam. Speeds to me are ok. Nothing to jump about.

note: that usb gets very HOT. to the point I called the person that sold it to me and asked "is this normal?" It hasn't blown up yet so im good.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had Clearwire for three years, cancelling my account this past April. I have heard and read a lot of complaints about Clearwire, but I can attest to you that it does exactly what you pay for: connect you to the internet almost anywhere. I purchased it primarily because we had two houses, one in Las Vegas, and one in San Diego and we didn't want to spend the money for two subscriptions. It worked beautifully in both areas. Mind you, you're not going to get broadband/DSL quality. But you will get exactly what they advertise with 1.5Mbps download (I hear it's more now) and 256kpbs upload. So if you're getting this expecting to replace your broadband/DSL then get ready to be disappointed. But if mobility is a concern (such as it was in our case) and you're not planning on doing anything net intensive (downloading big files, playing online games, etc.) then I highly recommend it. In fact, I just recently saw that they have a PCMCIA card. I'm waiting for them to come up with a USB modem so I can replace my verizon usb modem card (same connection speed, same price, but Clearwire does not have download limits) because my darn netbook, as cool as it is, doesn't have a PCMCIA slot. icon_lol.gif
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, I know in Atlanta the Clearwire network is really just taking affect. I wasn't sure how long it had been around in any other neighboring states. I thought it would be much faster since its a 4G network though.

Did any of you see any job postings in your area?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    They're advertising up to 6 megs down, and 500k up for Home Internet for 40 bucks a month. So the throughput and price is comparable to wired residential broadband, I just doubt the latency will be much improved. That's always the one thing that's put me off of wireless media.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I applied for the Tech Support position here in Las Vegas, still waiting to hear back from them.

Ouch about the 200ms ping, I may need to stick with Cox even if I do get a job with them. L4D1 and 2 wont be playable with that kind of legacy icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah 200 was really good for when I used it. About 180 was the best I could get. It's not horrible, but it's not consistant, so you'll get peaks up to 400 and 500 normally. I guess it just depends on the area you're in. Bandwidth was there though. So, it would normally float between 200-400.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA