Options

Passed ICND2 :)

stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
Woohoo, finally did it :D

I've had two attempts at the full 640-802 exam, and failed it both times with scores of 762 and 790, all because of the easier stuff (i.e. ICND1 material). I could troubleshoot an OSPF network without thinking about it, and configure Frame Relay with my eyes closed, but yet had to think hard about simple security classifications...

So I decided to split it into two, and concentrated hard on ICND1, passed that this past monday with a score of 874, and then today took the ICND2, and passed with a score of 945 :D

CCNP here I come :)

Materials I used were: -

- Cisco Press Exam guides
- Sybex Fastpass (bordering on useless this book, and the writing style is more disjointed than a dislocated arm)
- Real world work (I work in networking already)
- Labbing out (Dynamips, my friends small lab, Packet Tracer for any gaps in switching)
- Packetlife.net **** sheets (not braindumps or anything, just well presented sheets on various protocols)
- Ciscohandsontraining.com podcasts

All of it worked together to get me here, I recommend all of them except the Sybex book, seriously don't know how anyone could learn from that thing, it is geared to passing the exam, and passing the exam ONLY, not actually learning the material.
Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1

Comments

• Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Congrats man, welcome to the club! Do you have a job that allows you to work with Cisco equipment?
  • Options
    dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!

I plan on taking the 2 test path myself :) It just seems to be a bit more manageable.
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • Options
    Congrats man, welcome to the club! Do you have a job that allows you to work with Cisco equipment?

I do, its a hybrid network with their own black boxes (with Linux/SCO/HP-UX OS's on, and their own in house developed software), and also with Cisco switches, routers, and theres a few PIX, ASAs and VPN concentrators sitting around the network too.

It definitely has helped with doing this, and its what got me doing it in the first place, hopefully this can get me further up in the company, or get into other places.

Thanks for congrats people :D

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Just remember, professional level certs are a bit harder. Make sure you lab your butt off! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Go Celebrate!! drunken_smilie.gif

Those PacketLife **** Sheets are really good!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Congrats man! Good luck on the NP track. Alot more details to dive into. Like Mike said though, go celebrate!.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    congrats on the pass icon_smile.gif
    stuh84 wrote: »
    - Packetlife.net **** sheets (not braindumps or anything, just well presented sheets on various protocols)

I came across these recently have to say I quite like these and pin them on the board together with my blueprint for any exam I'm studying icon_smile.gif
    They are a nice little reference sheet.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Thanks from everyone :)

I'm a big fan of the PacketLife.net, I've leeched a lot of packet captures and the like off there, very good stuff :D

I can't wait to get stuck into the CCNP material though, we use a lot of BGP and HSRP at work, so it would be nice to have an understanding of them, as I feel I know enough EIGRP, OSPF and VLAN material to solve a lot of problems at work, but BGP and HSRP I barely scratch the surface icon_sad.gif

• Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the ICND2 as well. Friday CCNA Boomers!icon_cheers.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Congrats. I too failed the combined twice. (however it was the old one 640-801) Then took the 2 exam route and passed both. Good luck on CCNP I am going to knock out some Microsoft certs before diving into that one.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrads on the pass. I was thinking doing the two exam portion but I might just do the entire exam because I am enjoying studing.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Thanks bro. My next goal is the MCSA then finish my year in college. After those are completed I will come back to my Cisco babies.icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bubble2005 wrote: »
    I passed the ICND2 as well.
    Congratulations too!! icon_cheers.gif

Friday exams are the best drunken_smilie.gif (for celebrations) icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome.. the MCSA path.. Ahh go for entire MCSE path and get upgrades. The exams are easier compared to Cisco but Microsoft is changing them.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Alright thenjduke, I will do that instead, go all the way.icon_cheers.gif True blood. lol
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Woohoo, finally did it :D

I've had two attempts at the full 640-802 exam, and failed it both times with scores of 762 and 790, all because of the easier stuff (i.e. ICND1 material). I could troubleshoot an OSPF network without thinking about it, and configure Frame Relay with my eyes closed, but yet had to think hard about simple security classifications...

So I decided to split it into two, and concentrated hard on ICND1, passed that this past monday with a score of 874, and then today took the ICND2, and passed with a score of 945 :D

CCNP here I come :)

Materials I used were: -

- Cisco Press Exam guides
    - Sybex Fastpass (bordering on useless this book, and the writing style is more disjointed than a dislocated arm)
    - Real world work (I work in networking already)
    - Labbing out (Dynamips, my friends small lab, Packet Tracer for any gaps in switching)
    - Ciscohandsontraining.com podcasts

All of it worked together to get me here, I recommend all of them except the Sybex book, seriously don't know how anyone could learn from that thing, it is geared to passing the exam, and passing the exam ONLY, not actually learning the material.

Grats! icon_cheers.gif Also, thanks for listing what you used - those links look very cool. icon_study.gif