Options

Sell lab equipment or keep?

z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I have the following equipment and was wondering if I could sell the lab and just use packettracer to study for CCNA, then purchase updated equipment for CCNP if I were to pursue that.

2 x 2611
2 x 2501
2 x 1901
1 x 2524

Comments

• Options
    stonedtroutstonedtrout Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering the same thing.

I had posted my two 2501's on Craig's list and had a buyer but then he backed out. I'm kind of glad he did. I think keep them at least until i pass my CCNA (hopefully by the end of the year) and then decide what to do.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I would just keep the stuff - not like 1900's and 2500's are worth much cash. I suppose if you're really craving half a pizza :)
  • Options
    z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I guess the root of the question is if packet tracer is "complete" enough to learn on and pass CCNA then potentially CCNP.

I probably will end up keeping the equipment.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    PacketTracer is designed for Cisco Network Academy students to do their CCNA, it isn't going to be enough for CCNP. Even Dynamips isn't enough for CCNP because of the lack of decent switch support. You need some switches to go with your lab as well.

Those 1900 switches you've got are boat anchors in regards to usefulness for any Cisco certification. If you sell them (not that it'd be much) you won't miss them at all.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Some Frame Relay commands are not supported in packet tracer. So be sure to study up if you use only packet tracer.
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought a kit without really doing any product research, and ended up with some 1900 switches. I figure they are worth less than $20 each, so probably give them away.

I got a couple of 2500s in the kit, but with no rj45 transceivers and small memory with really old versions of IOS. Bought memory upgrade and transceivers, and its easy to see I have more money into them than they are worth. I got a 2514 that came with two transceivers, and the shipping was more than the hardware...

I think I will hang on to the 2500s in case someone I know wants to study the stuff. I think they are right on the border of being more work to sell than they are worth.

For newbs, I recommend learning a lot about the various models before buying a kit. Kit sellers are shipping what they have in stock, and they are honest about selling what is listed, but whether it is what you need for the cert is another matter altogether... Having said all that, I learned a bit at a low cost, and it was fun, so only tiny regrets.