Options

Study motivation

Ok guys here's a tough question. Full time job, girlfriend, life, all that nonsense. How do you find the motivation to come home and force yourself to study? I am usually a very self motivated person but for some reason i just cant get the energy and motivation to do this.
Any tips? I appreciate it a lot!

Comments

• Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    It helps to have a genuine interest in what you're studying. Find something you would like to specialize in and go from there.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Motivation...,Help with Studying Tips and Guides Tips and motivation needed, please Study and Motivation Need Motivation Having a hard time studying Motivation ( 1 2)
    jscimeca715

Hello, I saw your post and I’m in the same boat as you, I have a girlfriend, work full time, and go to college part. I do labs at school, because my instructor encourages it and allows it. He feels that it’s the only way you can actually learn IT material, by playing with the software and equipment. I concentrate on one cert at a time, for example I’m studying for my A+ and I try do my quizzes one the weekends. Here my tips that I use………
    • Telling everyone that you’re attending college, also telling them what program you’re in. I always thought this was a stupid idea, but I tired and you would be surprised how supportive people are when you tell them this. You could use this method for you’re certification studies..
    • Tell your girlfriend, family, and freinds why you’re study for your certification…It will allow me to apply for job x or job Y I could make 40,000 as a system administrator if I had the CCNA certificate .. these are just examples. Also, if you tell your loved ones this , they will give you a boost when you’re down
    • Mix up your studies… Last weekend I installed windows 7 on sun xm virtual box… this weekend I’m going to install a Linux operating system. Trying mixing up CBT training, with books, and labs.
    Third I look at jobs that I want and check out the certifications, and experience, and then I think where do I need to be , so that I can one day apply and get this position? That helps me at least.
    Set ,goals, goal, goals………..I wanted to take the A+ essentials, but put off buying the voucher, I bought the voucher and set my date September 28, 2009, this does help. Buy a voucher, and make it a priority to take that test.
    Ps I posted links to other threads about study motivation above
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What worked for me was switching from reading 800+ pg study manuals to watching CBTs and taking notes. I'm really into TestOut at the moment and it made studying for 70-291 quite enjoyable.

Don't let study become a burden; Set goals on your calendar and see if you apply any of it at work.

Remember to reward yourself after each exam pass too. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually get up an hour earlier before work and head down to our local Duncan Donuts around 6am. I study until it is time to go to work.

I have gotten so used to this routine over the years that I actually cannot study at home.

I am motivated by interest in my job. I am never bored and I like lots of letters after my name.
  • Options
    srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to add I use a Goals System. What I do is I read one chapter each day or one unit whatever media I am using to study. I also have portable Virtual Machines for live practice even while drinking coffee!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just think about the dollars and experience you'll be able to make with the new certs.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Girlfriend, job, social life?... really? Get your priorities in order bub, one of those things has GOTTA go!

I'm gonna miss her...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Well when you do not have any motivations go to a job website :D and type in the certification credentials which you are doing. Then you would see how many jobs are out there for it get motivated like that. Listen to music or something.
  • Options
    mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
    blargoe wrote: »
    Girlfriend, job, social life?... really? Get your priorities in order bub, one of those things has GOTTA go!

I'm gonna miss her...
    I was going to say this but since you have said it.....

I have a CCNA, CCNP and working on my voice cert. You have got to cut down significantly on your social life for the amount of months you will be studying for the cert. Social life will always be there after the cert.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Know that whatever you are working towards is a temporary sacrifice. In a month or two or three it will be complete.

Keep your goals small - like a chapter every other night. Schedule out your learning goals on a calendar. That really helps me to see what i'm doing. I would schedule a chapter a day through a couple of books, so i know when I'll be through a book and onto the next, or re-reading the material and doing final test prep. First month - all initial shock. Second month - re-read. 2 more weeks for test prep. Something a little more detailed than that.

Bring reading materials to the toilet.

Set up a practical lab so you can experience what you are studying.

CBT/Video training really helps to speed the learning and make it less dull.

Pay for the test and schedule it. You'll be surprised how much that alone will motivate you.

Imagine all the women that will flock to you that you will be forced to reject once you gain your newfound certification. Its better than axe body spray.

In all seriousness though...give your GF 2 or 3 nights a week of undivided attention. The less you see of her, the more awesome it is - and she should respect you for whatever it is you are trying to do to improve yourself.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »

Pay for the test and schedule it. You'll be surprised how much that alone will motivate.

this is my motivator. i can study all i want. if i dont schedule the test, i will just keep putting it off.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Lamini wrote: »
    this is my motivator. i can study all i want. if i dont schedule the test, i will just keep putting it off.

Thats a great suggestions, thanks to all of you that answered. I dont know how many of you are already in IT. Thats what my full time job is, I'm a sys admin for a school district. I guess the trouble i am having is after doing IT all day and then some. Its hard to pick up a book and study router protocols, 802.X, etc. Trying to get ready for the CCNA by Christmas, just find myself wanting to go home and not touch a computer.

Thanks for all your replies guys!
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were you Silentsoul, I would use CBT throughout the week, and reinforce what I've learned in the videos by reading the corresponding chapters in the book. I would also try to capitalise on practice tests from PrepLogic and Transcender. Keep in mind that in order to be incited you firstly have to be excited.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    bubble2005 wrote: »
    If I were you Silentsoul, I would use CBT throughout the week, and reinforce what I've learned in the videos by reading the corresponding chapters in the book. I would also try to capitalise on practice tests from PrepLogic and Transcender. Keep in mind that in order to be incited you firstly have to be excited.

Got the cbt nuggest for the CCNA from a buddy and got the cisco press books.
    Here goes!

Thanks to everyone who provided the tips. I just had to stand up and say. HEY i'm doing this. Hopefully i can get my g/f to quiz me out of the book and give some positive reinforcement.... heh
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the hard work is waiting for the date that you pass the exam and get a better career. Yeah, it is kind of suxk because it is a long term goals. However, it will when come to the time that your expertise on the system vs. the system issues. You will enjoy the moment of hardwork and the dedication to the certification that you picked.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Lately what has motivated me is the lack of progress in my job I guess you could say. When I stop being challenged, I need to kick it up a notch, and in the near future hopefully challenge myself in a new position somewhere else and knock out my CCNA and MCSE.

I like Chris Bryant's view of "beating" the CCNA. Being the sports/competitive person I am thats a really good way of looking at it. I don't like to lose and I want to kick some cert butt.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just think of the token old guy @ every McDonalds. Nuff motivation for me! :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The little guy in my avatar, he motivates me a lot :D

I want to do well enough to live a decent life for my family and to be able to provide him with a solid start towards paying for a college education for him. If I can bust my rear and help him avoid having to take out a good chunk in student loans like I had to, I'll consider my efforts a success.

I don't pin my motivations on the very tangible items in life anymore, I went through that when I was working in management on a commission scale. All I had to show for my hard work was a bunch of computer and consumer electronics gear and a car with way too much money sunk into it that was fun but a royal PITA at the same time. I make less than half of what I did before and I'm happier than before. I just want the extra money in my checks now to save for my kid (and future kids) future and retirement for my wife and I.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    Ok guys here's a tough question. Full time job, girlfriend, life, all that nonsense. How do you find the motivation to come home and force yourself to study? I am usually a very self motivated person but for some reason i just cant get the energy and motivation to do this.
    Any tips? I appreciate it a lot!

I just think to myself....studying is no fun at all....but poverty is less fun.

It kind of puts things in perspective real quick.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's just plain hard when you have a lot of other interests and "activities" going on. Such is life. I've been doing this crap forever it seems like. I never stop learning, for sure, but I don't necessarily wrap up any certs either. Sometimes you have to force yourself to stick to an exam blueprint, which is much easier said than done when your interests are all over the map.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Motivation? The cert itself. Not a job that sits there waiting for me to finally pass the test, not the fake promises of such-n-such thousands a year. I have more confidence with computers than the regular user and I feel I have to make that final push over the fence. Although it became harder and harder to get myself around studying lately. I'm there at being ready to take the exam about 50%...