Options

Interview Question

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
This Weds I will be interviewing for a new job. One thing I'm very into is network security and I have a pretty strong background in it. I know that this is a growing area and I would assume that companies would appreciate someone who has a background in security (along with whatever else they are looking for). The company is looking to hire someone that will be a network admin so I'd be responsible for the networks security. What I want to know is, if I know that the companies current website has security holes in it should I mention it during the interview process or wait till I (hopefully) get hired?

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    IMO, I would mention it but after the interview informally. But that's just my opinion :)

-ken
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    This is a sticky issue. I would probably swing it like this, I would mention that you are into network security and instead of them hiring you for the position you are interviewing for, maybe they could think about creating a new security job. Then maybe drop the bomb on them that their website is insecure and using your expertise can greatly reduce this type of thing from happening again.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would not mention this under ANY circumstances during the interview.

At best it might make you sound like a knowledgeable and helpful individual. At worst it might make the interviewer feel you are mentioning it in an effort to extort the company for the position, or something like that. The interviewer might think ill of you for poking around and possibly trying to gain information for the interview. Also, if they don’t hire you and something happens (web site is defaced, etc) they will come knocking on your door first.

The potential harm mentioning this could do to you, outweighs any of the potential good it might do for you.

Once you are hired and know the company’s culture then I suggest that you bring this up to the appropriate person.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722

At best it might make you sound like a knowledgeable and helpful individual. At worst it might make the interviewer feel you are mentioning it in an effort to extort the company for the position, or something like that. The interviewer might think ill of you for poking around and possibly trying to gain information for the interview. Also, if they don’t hire you and something happens (web site is defaced, etc) they will come knocking on your door first.

The potential harm mentioning this could do to you, outweighs any of the potential good it might do for you.

Once you are hired and know the company’s culture then I suggest that you bring this up to the appropriate person.

I have to agree with this completely. Never say anything like that during a interview. Wait till you get the job and get settled them bring it up.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499

Very good point.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Valid points from all. I think I will not mention anything until (hopefully) hired and have a feel for the environment. Thanks for the opinions though everyone.