Options

New member with a few questions

shogbertshogbert Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new to the forum, but been reading it for a few months now.

I am just starting on the Cisco track with the CCNA.

My background is:
University degree in Computer-aided engineering (Engineering not I.T)
Just finished MCSE with Computeach after 2 years studying.
Currently working in an IT role for a network cabling company and wanting to get the company more involved in actually designing and configuring networks rather than simply installing the cabling.

I have the following equipment sat in my office ready to set up a lab:

approx:

50x Cisco 2950T-24 switches
10x Cisco 2950G-24-EI switches
2x Cisco 2960-24TT switches
1x Cisco 2504 router
4x Cisco 2621 routers
1x Cisco 2613 router
1x Cisco 2821 router

plus a few other devices & interface cards & cables etc...

I have various CCNA learning material and after studying with Computeach for the past 2 years it made me think that spending money with a training provider is a waste of time.

I plan on setting up a lab with the equipment I have plus any additional equipment I need.

I'm after some advice on what the best books/videos are to get started considering my background.
Also - I have read lots of guides on setting labs up, but I guess it can change a lot depending on the equipment you have available. Any advice on a good lab setup would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ian,
    CBT Nuggets and Train Signal are most likely best nuggets for training. I would look into Sybex and Cisco Press books as well. I bought the Flash Cards from Cisco Press as well. There is a website for setting up labs that is useful. Wasting money on a training provider is a waste if the teach stinks.
    Earl
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would highly recommend the Cisco Press Books as well as Train Signal videos. Chris Bryant does an excellent job of really explaining things in detail. He even seems to make learning fun. Which is sometimes hard to do for some individuals when teaching "IT."
  • Options
    shogbertshogbert Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.

I have started reading the Todd Lammle book and I am wondering whether there is any info on actually setting up a home lab in there?
    I have all this kit and I am eager to get something set up to check I have all the cables and interface cards etc.

Are there any good books or sites that are more focused on the practical aspects rather than theory?
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeh Todd Lammles books are really good for the labs and the practical side of things. He walks through a whole heap of labs.

I found the cisco press books to be good for the theory and Lammles book to be good for the practical.

The CBT Nuggets are also really good
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I have to agree with the other posts. Trainsignal and CBT nuggets are both really good sources. Todd book are really good to read and much easier to follow that the Cisco Press book. For the CBT nuggets the subnetting by Jeremy was done really well and easy to follow.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress