Options

Backup Solutions

RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I've started with a new company and one of the projects on my list is the replacement / upgrade of their backup solution. Currently they are using a retail copy of Backup Exec (11d) and lacking in agents. There are no service agreements or support contracts of any sort so we'll be in a position of starting over.

The environment is mostly mixed Windows 2000, 2003, and 2008 servers and a VMware Infrastructure instance.

I've considered upgrading their current version of Symantec and purchasing the new agents that will be needed. On the other hand, I've looked at replacing Backup Exec with EMC Avamar (which I've been impressed with at previous company) or some other solution.

What solutions do ye fellow TE-ers recommend? Anyone have input? I'm not limiting it to a discussion of one versus another. It's a rather long and expansive project which includes the migration from d2t to d2d2t so I'm open to any suggestions. I do ask that if you recommend something you state a reason as opposed to just a shout-out.

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I am in the same boat as you.

I just found out that the latest version of BE for servers, which should be BE 12.5, will include the bare-metal restore option with it, instead of having to pay for the extra license and software. For that, and pricing reasons, we are going to use Symantec.

I heard very good things about Acronis, but they were much more expensive on the quotes for server licenses they sent me. Oddly, their pc software costs less than symantec.

I did purchase a copy of Acronis for my personal PC just to see how good it is. It should arrive today or so, so i'll update the thread.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I am using Backup Exec for Windows Server 12.5 and while it does have a disaster recovery option, its hardly a full blown bare-metal restore. To do that you have to buy their $1200/per server Symantec System Recovery. The disaster recovery is limited to bare metal restore on same server hardware/configuration plus theirs no way to test it so basically if it doesnt work when a server fails you have to go the long route.. install os/config, install agent, then start backup thats if the backup actually restores.

Thanks,

win2k8
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    Is anyone using Acronis Back up and recovery 10 ? what are you thoughts on it ? Is it a straight 2k3 or 2k8 implementation or SBS. I too am at a crossroads with a client and I'm torn between Backup Exec and Acronis. I need Disk director from Acronis to merge a partition so I'm thinking of staying within the family. I would love any thoughts or comments
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Is anyone using Acronis Back up and recovery 10 ? what are you thoughts on it ? Is it a straight 2k3 or 2k8 implementation or SBS. I too am at a crossroads with a client and I'm torn between Backup Exec and Acronis. I need Disk director from Acronis to merge a partition so I'm thinking of staying within the family. I would love any thoughts or comments

You would want to start your own tread for your own specific question as this may benefit others too. - FWIW

Acronis offers trials so, if you are uncertain, you could give it a 'TRY" and see how that solution works for you.

Backup Exec has a long standing history and works very well and is very predictable. You will probably find it is less costly long-term to go with Backup Exec...maybe not, depends on how many nodes and if you need remote support, SQL, Exchange, etc...

I think Acronis' products are very good. But when I price things out for our larger clients...it never is justified as the main solution.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought new acronis server backup solution, and been using previous version couple years. Its $600 now with the required $100 maintenance contract. Its still far from the $1200 pricetag backupexec was, unless thats changed. works fine, does its job. they put a rediculous pricetag for universal restore for the servers, its ~$20 on workstations, $300+ on servers. no problems whatsoever. just beware of their non existant tech support (the one you pay $100+ for with the product), they love giving you the run arounds and playing games like phone tag. their chat support was awesome, identical to symantecs, they both probably work in same building somewhere on the other side of the globe probably, nice people, but alas they hid their chat support feature too.

im not too fond of how you spend $$$$$ on acronis solution... and have nothing to show for it other than a download link. at least symantec gives you a frikin box to show your customers what they spent ther $x,xxx,xxx on, or they use to(?)
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Huge fan of Avamar here (but the tape output leaves much to be desired - or at least integrated)

With that said, can you tell us more about the environment?
    • How many servers?
    • Are they all located in a central location, or distributed among remote sites?
    • What are some of the key applications that might have specific backup requirements (Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, Oracle, SAP, etc)?
    • How much data are we talking about?
    • Also you mentioned D2D2T, does everything need to go to tape?
    • Are synthetic backups an option?
    Obviously the needs play a big part in determining the best fit. :)
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Huge fan of Avamar here (but the tape output leaves much to be desired - or at least integrated)

With that said, can you tell us more about the environment?
    • How many servers?
    • Are they all located in a central location, or distributed among remote sites?
    • What are some of the key applications that might have specific backup requirements (Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, Oracle, SAP, etc)?
    • How much data are we talking about?
    • Also you mentioned D2D2T, does everything need to go to tape?
    • Are synthetic backups an option?
    Obviously the needs play a big part in determining the best fit. :)

• How many servers? - ~45
    • Are they all located in a central location, or distributed among remote sites? - Centralized
    • What are some of the key applications that might have specific backup requirements (Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, Oracle, SAP, etc)? - SQL, Exchange (2000 for now, moving to 2007+). SAP is coming though within the next couple of years.
    • How much data are we talking about? - Quite a bit. Looks like the weekly backups grab approximately 1.5TB including server backups
    • Also you mentioned D2D2T, does everything need to go to tape? - I suspect not. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly review everything yet since I've only been here a week but I've never seen a situation where 100% has to go to tape.
    • Are synthetic backups an option? - I'm assuming you mean manually copying data? Not sure, would have to be a situational circumstance.
    I, too, was impressed with Avamar in the last few months of my previous employer. We switched from Backup Exec to it to facilitate online backups with our DR vendor. Historically I've used nothing other than Backup Exec (11d - 12.5) for infrastructure backup and Acronis for workstation imaging.
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    I bought new acronis server backup solution, and been using previous version couple years. Its $600 now with the required $100 maintenance contract. Its still far from the $1200 pricetag backupexec was, unless thats changed. works fine, does its job. they put a rediculous pricetag for universal restore for the servers, its ~$20 on workstations, $300+ on servers. no problems whatsoever. just beware of their non existant tech support (the one you pay $100+ for with the product), they love giving you the run arounds and playing games like phone tag. their chat support was awesome, identical to symantecs, they both probably work in same building somewhere on the other side of the globe probably, nice people, but alas they hid their chat support feature too.

im not too fond of how you spend $$$$$ on acronis solution... and have nothing to show for it other than a download link. at least symantec gives you a frikin box to show your customers what they spent ther $x,xxx,xxx on, or they use to(?)
    I've never been too impressed with Symantec's support either. Every time I'd call for something they would tell me to configure something one way and then when I called back (and talked with someone different) they would tell me to do it a completely separate way. It's like they couldn't make up their mind on best practices.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    win2k8 wrote: »
    I am using Backup Exec for Windows Server 12.5 and while it does have a disaster recovery option, its hardly a full blown bare-metal restore. To do that you have to buy their $1200/per server Symantec System Recovery. The disaster recovery is limited to bare metal restore on same server hardware/configuration plus theirs no way to test it so basically if it doesnt work when a server fails you have to go the long route.. install os/config, install agent, then start backup thats if the backup actually restores.

Thanks,

win2k8
    Holy jesus. The sales guy told me it was included now, so he took the BESR agents off the quote.

So...what exactly is the restore scenario in case of a mobo/primary HD failure then if the baremetal isnt going to work?

I will have a cold spare one day to practice on, but not in the next 6 months.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    We use Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery BESR8.55 (not BE11D). We back both Exchange, SQL and Small Business Servers to NAS backup devices.
    It has the ability to manage both normal backups and a offsite backup at the same time.
    Incremental backups can be made during the day and a Granual restore of Exchange works well (besides pub folders.... arrghh).

Works well for recovery of accidental deleted files and or bare metal recovery if you have a main board fail etc.

Yes Symantec have issues, but generally they address them and its a realible product with support.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!