Options

Cisco Simulators

mullymully Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Reading Wendell Odom's CCENT/CCNA book, looking for suggestions on a good simulator to purchase. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GNS3 is a great application for simulating Cisco equipment, but for the CCNA, you're going to need access to Cisco Switches and the switches provided via GNS3 aren't capable of doing what you will need for completing the CCNA Exam.

HTH

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    beef1218beef1218 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like packet tracer.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Have a look at the CCNA FAQ for suggestions and extensive threads on simulators to help you prepare for the CCNA.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I like the packet tracer software. But, I have to admit, I want to have the hands on touch of the hardware. I would recommend buying some used equipment and setting up your own home lab. I did it because I want to be as fully prepared as possible. It seems like every sim will support most of the commands, but not the full IOS commands. Dynamips is pretty good, but you have to have access to the IOS images.
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A couple of questions... For packet tracer, where does one get labs--that is assigned activities? I have a bit of hardware as well, so assigned tasks along those lines would be nice as well.

Also, for that dynamips stuff, how does it relate to the computer you are running it on? Does it turn your computer into a router with your ethernet cards talking to the outside world, or does it create a sim that can talk to other sims you need to run on your computer?

I have read a bit on dynamips, but the big picture seems to be escaping me.
  • Options
    Ok, I just noticed that there are stickys to a bunch of labs on this very forum, so I apologize for asking about labs before looking at that. I still have the dynamips big picture question, though. Probably find the sticky for that next... ;)
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Ok, I just noticed that there are stickys to a bunch of labs on this very forum, so I apologize for asking about labs before looking at that. I still have the dynamips big picture question, though. Probably find the sticky for that next... ;)
    GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows simulation of complex networks. You need access to the IOS you want the hypervisor to support.
  • Options
    Ok, got GNS3 going on my ubuntu pc. Gotta say, I am continually astounded at how much the ubuntu distribution can do, and how easy it is to download and add packages.

Read the GNS3 tutorial and all of my questions have been answered. I did note that it only runs IOS for cisco routers. The switches and host elements are generic.