Options

ICND1--Starter Lab Needed

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, I have dragged it out and it's been a busy summer, however it's time to get serious. I am finally through Chapter 12 of the Odom ICND1 Book and my blood is rushing again! I'm currently cramming the Memory tables into my head, but feel I need to get some gear setup to continue the next few chapters.

Any reccommendations would be great. I have a budget of about $200 right now.

Thanks!
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try to get a copy of Packet Tracer. I didn't have any physical hardware when I took the ICND1, except an old switch that my boss let me borrow that I didn't really use. I used Packet Tracer pretty much exclusively. Packet Tracer will be enough to pass the exam. You can save a lot of money this way, unless you just want a home lab for personal practice in a real-world environment. Good luck on the test.
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I highly recommend packet tracer. You aren't going to really be able to get a good setup off of $200. Save that money and keep adding to it. I just bought four routers: (1) 2611xm, (2) 2650xm's, (1) 1721 and (1) 2950 switch, (5) WIC-1T's, and a few back-to-back serial cables, I've spent around $600. I still need a 2520 switch (for frame relay) and a few back to back cables.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Packet Tracer will easily get you through ICND1 (and probably 2 as well). Having said that, I was very pro simulator but am a recent "real gear" convert. If you can, I would strongly suggest getting your hands on at least one router and one switch and then build on it for ICND2. Your probably going to want real lab gear for ICND2 anyway, so you might as well start building it up now.

Dirt cheap on eBay, so if you live in the U.S., you've got no excuses!!! :D
  • Options
    Where do I get packet tracer?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rpfutrell wrote: »
    Where do I get packet tracer?
    From the Cisco Network Academy Program web site -- it's for members (and alumni) of the Cisco Network Academy.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    beef1218beef1218 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you really wanna get real hardware with $200, go with the 2500 series. I believe those are the cheapest routers you can get that can help getting CCNA. Make sure you get those with maximum RAM/flash.
    This is a very helpful article for starters' lab.
    CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community
  • Options
    Hey--

I just stumbled upon a recycler in my area and this is what I can get... Do you think it's a good deal?

2620 - $50
    2610 - $40

2924XL - $40
    2912 - $10

there are a few other flavors of switches (2900) also about the same prices... Should I yank up all this equipment?

Thanks!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    While you may save on shipping charges -- those prices are still higher then what I see (buy it now) on eBay (including the shipping). If you get to see them work (and they have max memory) it may be worth the extra cost for the "peace of mind" factor -- but don't forget you may have to pay local sales tax.

A 2912 would make an okay 4th or 5th switch.... if a 1900 is worth only $1 then a 2912 is worth about $1 to $2.

A 2924-XL-EN isn't worth more than $20.... and is okay for a 3rd switch.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    While you may save on shipping charges -- those prices are still higher then what I see (buy it now) on eBay (including the shipping). If you get to see them work (and they have max memory) it may be worth the extra cost for the "peace of mind" factor -- but don't forget you may have to pay local sales tax.

A 2912 would make an okay 4th or 5th switch.... if a 1900 is worth only $1 then a 2912 is worth about $1 to $2.

A 2924-XL-EN isn't worth more than $20.... and is okay for a 3rd switch.

What do you think about the 2620 and 2610 I can get?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    What do you think about the 2620 and 2610 I can get?
    If you shopped on eBay you could probably get some cheaper -- but they are still good and cheap routers to add to a CCNA lab. Plus you can toss an NM-4A/S in one and turn it into a frame relay switch -- which could still be cheaper than getting a 2520.

You'd still need a router that supported SDM. The 2620 would support 802.1Q trunking for "router on a stick" -- and the 2610 with the proper IOS also can do "router on a stick" even though it only has 10Mb Ethernet. But I think it's the 2600XM models that support SDM.
  • Options
    Ok I took the plunge!

I picked up the 2620 ($50) and the 2924XL ($25) and a couple of console cables. I might have overpaid I guess, but I needed something to continue my motivation and I wanted immediate self gratification and didn't want to wait on ebay auctions and shipping.

Remember now, I am going the 2 test route getting my CCENT (ICND1) first and get the ICND2 later.

Now I only need to know how to upgrade to the latest IOS? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Now I only need to know how to upgrade to the latest IOS? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks! icon_study.gif

Read your cisco books :)
  • Options
    beef1218beef1218 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok I took the plunge!

I picked up the 2620 ($50) and the 2924XL ($25) and a couple of console cables. I might have overpaid I guess, but I needed something to continue my motivation and I wanted immediate self gratification and didn't want to wait on ebay auctions and shipping.

Remember now, I am going the 2 test route getting my CCENT (ICND1) first and get the ICND2 later.

Thanks! icon_study.gif

Basically, you need to learn how to set up a T.F.T.P server, which you will need to use to transfer IOS images to the flash.
    After you have the T.F.T.P server working and the IOS image files ready, just erase the flash, put the image into flash, and reload.