Options

Passed!!! What I used to pass.

Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Just like to say that I passed the 290 today, with a score of 957. The test was very much alot easier than any test engine and the topics are not that in-deepth, the sims where very simple, not masses of config etc.

I'm not sure if I was luckly to get that high but just wanted to say from reading some of the threads that I found the following useful for learning, incase someone is in my boat where I constantly was worried I knew jack about it all.

As everyone seems to mention it transcender is by far the best test engine to use, I have also used mesaure up and readness reveiw suite thing. Only used these a few weeks before the exam to view any trouble areas.

The transcender study guide is also good as it seems to patch in some areas that the Microsoft Press 290 book doesn't cover. I found I was reading my old 270 book I never got into as 290 only skimmed over a few areas for certain things. But I guess if you have done 270 you won;t want to go over it again.

And technet was a big help aswell, maybe it goes a little to far in detail, as I can't remember the exam being the explicit but I it explains whatever you need to know, bar some good info on performance counter thresholds.

I'll stop keeping on :D but thought this maybe useful to someone if they are unsure and nervous about the exam. Personally I think I probably done too much I would have been happy with any passing score, but I wanted to cover all bases.

Just need to pick a new exam nowicon_study.gif
Next Targets:
70-294
CCENT

Comments

• Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nice job... finishing up your mcse/mcsa?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you very much!!

If only I was finishing up a mcsa/mcse!! This is just the start!! I have been working in an IT dept for last 3 and bit years and finally thought I had better start learning what I don't know/and get certified to show I'm capable. Did try learning the XP one but wasn't really that fun for me as wasn't learning anything new or what I wanted at the time, though will do it after another core exam to get the MCSA quicker. Only problem is that once I have got the MCSA then MCSE I can see a whole load of other stuff I wana get into!!

Learning seems to be never ending!!!
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    its fun once you start and find you like this stuff. where else are you looking? network design? firewalls/security? lots of nice things out there to learn for sure... good luck.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wicked score! Congrats icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm one of those guys who's nervous and unsure about taking the exam, but part of me just wants to walk in there and just take it like I did with Vista. Most of this stuff i do everyday, but there are just some things on the objectives that are now irrelevant in the workplace like terminal services and the windows backup utility. I'm growing restless, and can't stand to read this book another time. I think ill go take it next week...
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • Options
    Is good fun getting certified+learning, think I would like to get MCSE in Messaging then start to look at Network+ and Cisco exams, maybe only to CCNA standard, though network design + firewalls is something I would like to look into.

Have to agree about some parts of this exam not being relevant, where I work we use alot of third party tools for Terminal Server, Back-up, Remote Assistance, Active Directory Reporting, Hardware RAID's, Monitoring.

If you have read the book I am sure you will be find, if you have done the practive questions and case studies and it has stuck. Week before I took the exam I just went through test engines going over the topics one at a time to pick-up anything I didn't know then learn it and move on. Think I went through the actually book 3 times, once reading it in order, then going through the topics on the marking sheet thing. Then again for reference for any questions I got wrong in practice engines. If ya done the work ya shouldn't be worried.

Someone said to me just take the exam and see as its not like you can't take it again, but like you I just want to walk-in not nervous and feel confident when doing it.
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT