Options

Besides Salary

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey all so I had a job interview today and we didn't talk about salary however we did talk about time off and benefits. I was wondering what the norm for these things are. They have 6 Paid time off days and 1 week vacation for the first year. Does this seem like alot/a little? I currently work for a small company that spoils us with vacation so I'm not sure what to expect.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get three weeks, but I worked my way up from one with a few misc days. I think around two weeks is average. If you have more, you may want to try negotiating for another week or two.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What I have encountered...

Generally, at whatever the company deems the rollover date for benefits, something like 10 days vacation, 5 days personal, and whatever the company observed holidays seems to be standard. The date might be my 1 year anniversary date, it might be January 1 of the next year, or some other date that is the same for everyone. Upon starting the company, what people get might be less than the full allotment. I got a prorated number of days at my last job and got the full number of days off on Jan 1. Current company bases it on anniversary date so I got all of my days from the start.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well they are offering to ALMOST double my current salary so the few days less that I won't half off will suffice icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Yea, I'd be ok with losing a few days vac if I was being offered 2x my pay, congrats!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would require 10 days to start along with the typical holiday's. It's not so much that I really desire to go on vacation often, just that between doctors appointments and days that our little guy's day-care is closed my wife and I both end up using about 5 days each for that and we like to have a few remaining days for our own little getaway as well.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I need 8 weeks PTO and unlimited sick days not to mention paid holidays including Chinese New Years, National Hot Dog day and a week off for Octoberfest, all paid of course. I am still looking for a job that meets these requirements.

Until I find that job, I will continue to get 10 days PTO, 10 days sick and paid holidays (sadly not all the ones I was hoping to get). I have only been with my current company 6 months but it really starts to get good after a few years.