Options

Quick Question about network traffic

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am slowly building my lab for the CCNA + CCNA:S as well as other things....

I was thinking, what would be the best way to generate traffic on my network. I have a server, a workstation, (both physical) and 2 laptops along with a networked printer. I have cable internet and I was thinking of getting a cisco 800 series and connecting it to my lab (once everything is set up). From there I was thinking of using TCPREPLAY Tcpreplay to "record" network traffic and play it back over the network. I am not sure if this is the best idea however. Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as generating traffic?

Also one more thing, does anyone have any suggestions for a better opensource/free network analyzer. I am using Wireshark and I have found it to be very difficult to run reports on the traffic. I was told that some tools in the Backtrack Remote-Exploit.org - Supplying offensive security products to the world may be of some use but mostly this is for pen testing. Anyone have any bright ones.

Thanks people

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I am slowly building my lab for the CCNA + CCNA:S as well as other things....

I was thinking, what would be the best way to generate traffic on my network. I have a server, a workstation, (both physical) and 2 laptops along with a networked printer. I have cable internet and I was thinking of getting a cisco 800 series and connecting it to my lab (once everything is set up). From there I was thinking of using TCPREPLAY Tcpreplay to "record" network traffic and play it back over the network. I am not sure if this is the best idea however. Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as generating traffic?

Try this link... Traffic. I haven't personally used it, but it seems as if it will accomplish the mission you're looking for... a stress test.
    Also one more thing, does anyone have any suggestions for a better opensource/free network analyzer. I am using Wireshark and I have found it to be very difficult to run reports on the traffic.

I've heard of this quite a few times on these forums and other network professionals, but again, I've never personally used them. Try this link: MRTG.

I hope this helps.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    I had to do some IPS testing a few years back with tcpreplay.

Get a few good pcaps, use snort to sniff the traffic, write a few scripts to calculate and plug the stats into a mysql database, slap a front end on it, win! icon_thumright.gif

I think the process of setting this up was the most fun I had at that company. There may be a few all in one solutions for things like this, but we were cheap, and I had to much free time. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    I had to do some IPS testing a few years back with tcpreplay.

Get a few good pcaps, use snort to sniff the traffic, write a few scripts to calculate and plug the stats into a mysql database, slap a front end on it, win! icon_thumright.gif

I think the process of setting this up was the most fun I had at that company. There may be a few all in one solutions for things like this, but we were cheap, and I had to much free time. icon_lol.gif

Thats kinda awesome. I use to write in asp.net and mysql in highschool but I since have forgotten all of that. Maybe I could get back in. Hmm....
  • Options
    Try this link... Traffic. I haven't personally used it, but it seems as if it will accomplish the mission you're looking for... a stress test.

I've heard of this quite a few times on these forums and other network professionals, but again, I've never personally used them. Try this link: MRTG.

I hope this helps.

V/r

~Peanut

Thanks for the links. I will check em out.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    Thats kinda awesome. I use to write in asp.net and mysql in highschool but I since have forgotten all of that. Maybe I could get back in. Hmm....

I'm a PHP fan myself. It's only been a few years for me, but I don't think I could do it now without cracking the books. icon_study.gif