70-659 Server 2008 R2 Virtualization

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
Calling all Windows Server Virtualization experts?Submit your SME profile now! | born to learn

MS is releasing a new exam for virtualization on R2.

I have the 70-652, so this kind of irks me that they are adding another. Because i bet this new one will be an MCITP Virtualization Administrator requirement.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Weird, they usually don't add new exams for Rx products. However, there are substantial improvements, especially with regards to virtualization, this time around, so I guess it's warranted.

I don't really care since I have a VCP anyway icon_lol.gif Oh wait, I'm going to need to update that too icon_sad.gif
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    dynamik wrote: »
    Weird, they usually don't add new exams for Rx products. However, there are substantial improvements, especially with regards to virtualization, this time around, so I guess it's warranted.

Yep, Hyper-V in R2 is bringing in some worthwhile changes (so I am told).
    dynamik wrote: »
    I don't really care since I have a VCP anyway icon_lol.gif Oh wait, I'm going to need to update that too icon_sad.gif

I feel the pain here too, I need to update VCP and CCEA (man certs suck icon_wink.gif)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    [QUOTE=stupidboy;336421
    I feel the pain here too, I need to update VCP and CCEA (man certs suck icon_wink.gif)[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. After this round of VCP, MCITP (messaging and EA), renewing CCNA, and my next EMC attempt, I swear I'm done.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The 70-652 MSTK book mentioned that it could also be used as a study guide for the 70-403 SCVMM exam and the 70-693 Windows Server Virtualization Administrator exam - which isn't listed on the MS Learning site yet. I would expect that 652 can be used for the rumored MCITP: VA because it's really not that different.

Here is my guess for the MCITP: VA

MCTS
    70-652 or 659
    70-403

MCITP
    70-693
    Claymoore wrote: »
    The 70-652 MSTK book mentioned that it could also be used as a study guide for the 70-403 SCVMM exam and the 70-693 Windows Server Virtualization Administrator exam - which isn't listed on the MS Learning site yet.

Claymoore, are you reading the 70-403 stuff at the moment? Is that MSTK book any good?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The born to learn blog has an update about the Virtualization Admin MCITP. Link: Virtualization exam update - What's in the box?:
    Many of you have been asking about virtualization exams for some time now. Well, the first of the virtualization exams is entering beta soon, so I guess it’s time to open the box and let you see what’s inside.

Here are the exams we currently have on the development schedule:

70-659: TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
    70-669: TS: Desktop Virtualization
    70-693: Pro: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator

Passing all three exams will earn you the MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator credential.

We’ll be opening registration for the 70-659 beta soon. As with every beta exam, seats are limited. We’ll be using our MSL SME database to recruit for the first round of beta participants. For your best chance of participating, create a SME profile by filling out the survey on the MSL SME site on Microsoft Connect. (See this post for more information.) If you have already created your SME profile, make sure that you update it to reflect your interest in taking a beta exam and your experience with virtualization.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    EDIT:

Apparently 652 is good.

kristaw moderator.png2 hours ago
    Hi Calidco, here's what the product planner had to say:

Exam 652 will be allowed as a substitute for the new R2 exam (659), so anyone who has that TS credential will not be required to pass the new exam.
    No requirement for SCVMM ... icon_cry.gif

70-403 no use here then ... oh well it was fun :) I guess the new 659 will go deeper into SCVMM, otherwise its not really an "enterprise" certification. Only time will tell.
    I would assume that the Pro exam will test a decent amount on SCVMM.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    @ stupidboy -
    I skipped most of the 403 exam topics in the MSTK because I was focused on the 652. The SCVMM material is scattered through the book and I had to keep referencing the exam topics and chapters map to separate the different exam material. The material that I accidentally read seemed useful though.

The Born to Learn blog said that the 659 would have a high amount of SCVMM questions as well. They claim that there was so much overlap that they did not feel a separate SCVMM test was required for the MCITP. What's strange is the virtualization competency for MS partners doesn't map to this new MCITP at all. There is both a Server and Desktop virtualization competency and they require SCVMM or SCCM exams respectively. In fact, none of the new exams are even listed on the competency requirements yet.

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/competencies/40108153
    I'm betting that competency will be updated considering that it only reflects 652 right now.

Im glad you pointed that website out. I'd like to be a consultant in the future and maintaining the proper partner competencys could help out with that come interview time.