Options

Which videos provide the best training for your money?

WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
Hey, I am currently working on my CCNA, I have many years experience with Cisco as a Network Admin, unfortunately, my experience is mainly with STP, Access Lists, basic Router configuration, and VLAN's on switches. I have never actually read a Cisco book but like I said, learned everything the hard way.

(I am in the Army, so rules about having to know your job before you work on it do not apply to me, I am told to learn something, so I do it, with no prior knowledge)

Now, I am currently in Army training for Cisco lol, funny how that works, and we are getting an abbreviated Semester 3 and 4 of the Cisco Academy, just enough to help us do our job, and I have decided to go ahead and study the rest of the way for my CCNA. I have Todd Lammle's book, the CCNA books you get with the Academy, and Packet Tracer. I am at a school, so buying Switches/Routers for a home lab isn't realistic, so my hands on will be mostly in class with simulations in my room.

Now my question is, does anyone recomend a video series that will help cement my knowledge, specifically something with strong WAN Protocol and Wireless training as those are probably going to be my weak points since I have never done those in my job...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think both CBT Nuggets and TrainSignal have demo videos you can watch.

Jeremy is more "high energy & fun" and Chris is more focused and to the point.... and either is good as an additional study source beyond the books.

A total noob may like Jeremy (and CBT Nuggets). Someone with some experience may prefer Chris (and the TrainSignal videos).

But if you like happy talk morning radio, then Jeremy is Your Guy. If you're a news/talk radio kind of guy, then Chris probably is Your Guy....

Either one should work for a "video person" -- so just pick the one that you think would work the best for you.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    TrainSignal has more information and the videos are generally longer.
    But man that guys voice puts me to sleep.

CBTNuggets is more easy to listen to and not as boring.
    But man he goes off topic sometimes.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    The Nuggets are more "fun", but TS gives a lot more detail.

But, like Mike said, you should not just use the video - pick up a good book to fill in the cracks.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you asked me which one was better bang for your buck, I'd say go with Mr. Bryant. He indeed covers more ground but as everyone says he's also a little... monotonous (when I first watched his videos, I kept thinking in my head "Bueller... Bueller... Bueller..." for some reason) What I really wish someone would make is a book on tape of the Cisco Press books. I bet you could drink a 4 pack of Red Bulls and it'd STILL put you to sleep! icon_lol.gif
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like Chris and Jeremy a lot. I'll add to the consensus that TS is more in-depth but also more difficult to watch. I actually play them at 1.8-2.0x speed.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    No mention of " MIKE STORM " ?

That guy rules. Not sure how the quality of his material compares but for sheer enthusiasm, you would quite happily invade a small 3rd world country for that guy.
    Kam.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    No mention of " MIKE STORM " ?

That guy rules. Not sure how the quality of his material compares but for sheer enthusiasm, you would quite happily invade a small 3rd world country for that guy.

Haha - the mental picture. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mike pretty much summed it up there, but I'll put my vote for the CBT Nuggets.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets and Train Signals
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would highly recommend the Train Signal videos. Chris Bryant does a great job of explaining everything and doing what he believes will prepare you for the CCENT and CCNA exams, or the one exam option.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Chris Bryant does a great job, agreed, but I wish he'd inject a bit more life into it. That monotonous voice really does put you to sleep after a while. Having said that, the information he provides is second to none as far as video study goes.

Jeremy from CBT is great to listen to, and keeps you interested, but the information is a little thin compared to Bryant.

If only there was a happy medium, Jeremy with Bryant's material. That would be worth it's weight in gold!! :D