Options

How big of an Active Directory domain do you support?

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
I'm not talking about in branch orginizationos or sistercompanies, but how many users/computers do you support directly in an AD domain?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As I work for a managed service provider that is hard to say. It can really vary. Somewhere around 2000 users right now I would imagine.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used to support 90+ users; now down to 54. Bad times in consultancy.

Man, I'm desperate to get into big business. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm at around 200-250 at our largest client.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just 30-50 for some of our largest clients.

/bored
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I support about 50
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1500 users, 2200 servers/workstations. we were bought too, parent company has 35k for user count. mikedisd2, big isnt better... i wish they had never bought us.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Varies depending on the client; I've worked in environments with only a handful of users all the way to companies approaching 100k users in a single domain.
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    big isnt better... i wish they had never bought us.

mmm... not better but can have more opportunities, greater amount of technology, always things to do and learn, good resume insertions, possible relocation...

I'm in the same position as you Sidsanders. Another company bought ours and are now migrating all our services to their datacentre in another state. Means my position will be redundant in a few months.

Right now my technical duties are close to zilch. Spend the day studying and documenting. Just like my last SME job, the scope is limited and quickly becomes boring. I feel the only thing worse than having too much work is having nothing to do for month's on end. Just my opinion though.

That's why I want to get into big business. Grass is always greener...
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Last three jobs was 1800, 2500 and now about 120(loving this)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    around 100
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    300 in my place of employment, plus 5 clients with 20-40 users each.

They are my employers clients, not mine btw.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Just under 700 users
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    around 13000 users and 5000 computers.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    GAngel wrote: »
    Last three jobs was 1800, 2500 and now about 120(loving this)
    Going from that many to that few... You probably have the user names memorized.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going from that many to that few... You probably have the user names memorized.

I know all of them by face. Also cuts out alot of the B.S. channels to go through.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    mmm... not better but can have more opportunities, greater amount of technology, always things to do and learn, good resume insertions, possible relocation...

I'm in the same position as you Sidsanders. Another company bought ours and are now migrating all our services to their datacentre in another state. Means my position will be redundant in a few months.

Right now my technical duties are close to zilch. Spend the day studying and documenting. Just like my last SME job, the scope is limited and quickly becomes boring. I feel the only thing worse than having too much work is having nothing to do for month's on end. Just my opinion though.

That's why I want to get into big business. Grass is always greener...

bigger shops tend to pigeon hole you into certain roles though. the segmentation makes it real difficult to do anything except assigned functions. the server team, the os specific team, the mail team, the network team, the firewall team, the storage team, etc... coordination/inter-team work can be real bad too as you probably have seen. we avoid this currently since we are an isv, so we cant just do one thing as the parent company does.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where I work we support 300-400 users and computers in 8 different locations. Myself and the network admin are the whole IT staff.
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Around 500 users I support.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hard to say...I guess the most I have worked on/with is about 500 or so users? the largest client I have supported had about 45 physical servers, and countless virtualized ones. Unsure about end user workstations, but probably around 500 or so.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    About 250
    Plus 3 companies that I do side work for 9, 18 and 39 respectively
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    8000 internal users, 5000 computers and growing
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    bigger shops tend to pigeon hole you into certain roles though. the segmentation makes it real difficult to do anything except assigned functions. the server team, the os specific team, the mail team, the network team, the firewall team, the storage team, etc... coordination/inter-team work can be real bad too as you probably have seen. we avoid this currently since we are an isv, so we cant just do one thing as the parent company does.

Not really going to argue about it, nor be persuaded. But that's actually what I'm after; a few years in the server/networks team. Right now I'm Mr Everything for a small company with no policies or arbitrary boundaries of duties. I want to do more systems, less desktop support, ie career progress.

Like most IT guys I guess. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    My old AD domain was actually made up of 2 entirely separate networks. One had over 4000 users and the other had about 3000 users on it. I have no idea how many workstations there were.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ~1500 users over 40 sites.

And..... my boss refuses to use AD with the exception for our corporate office where it's used strictly for our customer service center only. Management hell over here, that's for sure.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My last job was over 5000 users. Current job is about 100 users.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At my job right now I support about 150 users in our Region
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    I currently support (As a team member,2nd-3rd level, in 1 of 6 teams) 2 domains, About 1500-2000 users in each. And about 520 sites over 2 countries.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Wow i figured there would be a lot bigger numbers.

Ours will be around 25,000 computers at ~95 sites when its complete. The user accounts exist for all 65,000 people but only a few thousand are in use yet. Rolling out steadily.