Options

Router Banners

SB-KSB-K Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Day,

Could someone please provide a simple explanation for exec and incoming banners.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    SB-K wrote: »
    Good Day,

Could someone please provide a simple explanation for exec and incoming banners.

Thank you.

do you have any books?icon_redface.gif
    an internet connection?icon_lol.gif
    google?
    live it, love it, use it....

cisco exec banner - Google Search
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    banner login ^C
    dorne.targaryen.local

All Hope Abandon, Ye Who Enter Here

^C
    !
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SB-K wrote: »
    Good Day,

Thank you.

Ok remember what console messages are? Think about those execpt for people telneting in? Are you reading a CCNA book? Are you using the Lamelle book? Seems like you are... He doesn't go into very deep detail about what they are but I think they are pretty simple. I suggest that you grab a copy of Packer Tracer (or if you have routers or switches do the same thing) and set one up. That is what I have been doing to make the things stick...
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    banner login ^C
    dorne.targaryen.local

All Hope Abandon, Ye Who Enter Here

^C
    !

I actually had mine set up to say that "if I am reading this, my config worked"

I thought it was funny...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I set mine up with witty things like "this is an exec banner" and "this is an incoming banner" and "this is a motd banner" ... etc.

Then I logged into the router various ways and confirmed they showed up when and where expected.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Google R us. LOL. Google really is an excellent resource. I use it all the time. Anytime there is something you do not know, want to know, want to review, just google it. You will definitely find something.

The login banner is a message that is displayed before you login to the router.

The exec banner is a banner that you see after successfully logging into the router. Meaning, once you have logged in. See example:

# Hello, this is a MOTD Banner #

Hello this is my login banner you will get a funny message once you have logged in

Router> enable
    Password:

Hey, hey, hey FAT Albert here! You have entered privileged-exec mode :)
    Router#

I hope my example helps and gives you a laugh :) LOL