Options

Anyway to make the vmware training any cheaper!?

dalesdales Member Posts: 225
I'm interested in doing the secure,deploy 4 day course so I can take the VCP exam, as you probably know all in all its about 2k anywhere you take. I dont suppose anyone knows of any vouchers promotions etc to make it cheaper as I going to fund the course myself.

I am going to contact the place hosting the course and see what they say but just wondered if anyone had any ideas.
Kind Regards
Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
Blog: vhorizon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Do what I did, convince your employer to pay for it. If you are migrating to a Virtual Stack, this makes perfect sense, of course now I need to study for the certification, but that's another story altogether...

They do offer online versions fo the course, not sure where your place of employment is but its worth a shot.
  • Options
    trouble is im looking to move on in the not too distant future so I'd have to pay it back anyway. The online courses sound interesting though.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    It's actually a very good course with plenty of hands on exercises. It can be a bit overwhelming at times, but they leave the lab equipment online from Mon - Sat so you can log in on your own time and get extra experience with the labs.

Not sure how the in person class works, but nothing beats the convenience of online and able to understand the material in a relaxing environment. They mail all course material to you prior to the start of the course so you will have your lab book and actual VCP book prior to the start of the class.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There really isn't a way to make it cheaper. Even with our company's discount we ended up paying $2800 for 30 credits (usually worth $3000, the price of the course).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    There really isn't a way to make it cheaper. Even with our company's discount we ended up paying $2800 for 30 credits (usually worth $3000, the price of the course).

Yes I'd thought as much, Dont mind too much paying out for the course cause i'm hoping the cert will pay me back and then some when I move jobs but just interested to see if I could get the cost down a bit.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dales wrote: »
    Yes I'd thought as much, Dont mind too much paying out for the course cause i'm hoping the cert will pay me back and then some when I move jobs but just interested to see if I could get the cost down a bit.

If your current employer would pay for the training, you could always take advantage of that and if you should move on hopefully to a better paying job you could pay them back at that time if you are a bit more strapped for cash at this time.
  • Options
    masterUniversemasterUniverse Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are in the SF bay area, there is a community college (approved by VMware) that teach VMware 3.5 ESX. Once you completed the course, you get a 75% off to take the test. As you all know, it is a community college so it is a 3 months course, once per week.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are in the SF bay area, there is a community college (approved by VMware) that teach VMware 3.5 ESX. Once you completed the course, you get a 75% off to take the test. As you all know, it is a community college so it is a 3 months course, once per week.
    What school offers this? I can't find any info on it. I found some schools offering some VMware courses that qualify for the VCP prerequisite, but the cost is still high.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What school offers this? I can't find any info on it. I found some schools offering some VMware courses that qualify for the VCP prerequisite, but the cost is still high.
    The course is still the same price. The exam at the end is cheaper.
  • Options
    masterUniversemasterUniverse Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□

It is foothill college in Los Altos Hills, CA. This class is 5 units so it is 17 dollars per unit for a total of 85 dollars plus some misc fee such as student id card, health fee, etc. it should be less than $200 for California resident plus another 40 or so for the book

Explanation of Student Fees and Fee Schedule

see slide 14
    http://www.synergy2008.org/futuresforums/vmware%20academy.pdf

Participants

CNET-080B-01: VMware Infrastructure 3-Install & Configure - Lecture and labs include examining server virtualization architectures and best practices, installing the VMware ESX Server, creating virtual switches and storage, creating and managing virtual machines, establishing access controls, performing resource monitoring and management, and applying VMotion, DRS, and HA. This course helps prepare students for the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) exam and satisfies the certification course requirement.
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    This is one of those things I'd have to let an employer foot the bill for.

Until then, I purchased a quadcore pc, w/8 Gigs of RAM. I'm going to use to run a "Vspehre In a Box"...
  • Options
    andyhall552000andyhall552000 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is Foothill college offering the VMWare course this fall (09/2010)? It seems like the course description does not say anything about VMWare.

CNET 80B SELECTED TOPICS IN NETWORK TECHNOLOGY5 UnitsIntroduction to various network operating systems and network technologies as they emerge.Repeatability: May be taken four times for credit.Four hours lecture, four hours laboratory.GE Area: View Schedule.
  • Options
    Yes, search the schedule here instead of in the registration system:
    Foothill Online Searchable Class Schedule
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hi Dale,

Send me an email with details of what course you want to do, and your contact details, and I'll see what I can do for you - I work at Global Knowledge in the UK and we offer the full range of official courses.

scott.vessey@globalknowledge.co.uk

Cheers,
    Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    Scott,

Thanks for the offer , however there was a bit of necro posting going on. I did install and config and passed in December.

Thanks anyway
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lol.. it is a year old thread.
    Congrats on getting your VCP dales
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ahh, I see that now... Well done on the VCP icon_smile.gif

Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    you can do it officially for $1000 online through VMware but book it through Vmware India
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A local tech school by me will be offering it through the IT Academy starting spring. Estimated expenses will be $373 for the course + $45 for the VMware courseware. Not bad at all. Still debating if I want to wait that long while I consider the online option posted a few posts back for about $970ish.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A local tech school by me will be offering it through the IT Academy starting spring. Estimated expenses will be $373 for the course + $45 for the VMware courseware. Not bad at all. Still debating if I want to wait that long while I consider the online option posted a few posts back for about $970ish.

That would be really cool. I wish there was a school in OHIO offering this (that is near me icon_sad.gif )
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Any idea how we'd find out if they had such programs in our area? I live in the Baltimore/DC area...seems like there should be something around these parts.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Any idea how we'd find out if they had such programs in our area? I live in the Baltimore/DC area...seems like there should be something around these parts.
    Check the list of participants:
    Participants

Unfortunately, just because a school is in the program doesn't mean they offer the courses. You will have to check with the schools individually.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    techdudtechdud Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just signed up for the online version of VMware Vsphere 4 at UCSC Extension for $977 including materials. Thanks for someone here who posted the link. It starts on September 7th and ends in December. I was paying out of pocket and could not find a cheaper option locally to fulfill the training requirement.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    They mail you the reading materials even for the online? This is something that I'm interested in since it's significantly cheaper and I'd be the one paying for it.
  • Options
    Yes they mail you the manuals. The course fee is $927 (early registration) and $50 for the manuals.
  • Options
    techdud wrote: »
    I just signed up for the online version of VMware Vsphere 4 at UCSC Extension for $977 including materials. Thanks for someone here who posted the link. It starts on September 7th and ends in December. I was paying out of pocket and could not find a cheaper option locally to fulfill the training requirement.

Is it VMware certified training (aka could you go take the VCP when you are done)? Link?
  • Options
    Here you go:
    22869 VMware vSPHERE 4: Configuration and Management | UC Santa Cruz Extension

This description states:
    "This course helps prepare students for the vSPHERE 4 VMware Certified Professional (VCP4) exam and satisfies the certification course requirement." and this "Students completing the course will receive a voucher for a $122.50 discount off the price of the VCP 4 exam from VMware IT Academy."
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    They mail you the reading materials even for the online?
    Yes.
    Purchasing Textbooks | UCSC Extension in Silicon Valley
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    techdud wrote: »
    Here you go:
    22869 VMware vSPHERE 4: Configuration and Management | UC Santa Cruz Extension

This description states:
    "This course helps prepare students for the vSPHERE 4 VMware Certified Professional (VCP4) exam and satisfies the certification course requirement." and this "Students completing the course will receive a voucher for a $122.50 discount off the price of the VCP 4 exam from VMware IT Academy."

Let me know how you like it. That looks like a really interesting course.
  • Options
    Will do. I will post an update once the class starts.