Options

Anyway to make the vmware training any cheaper!?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techdud wrote: »
    Will do. I will post an update once the class starts.

Do you have to live in Cali? I would LOVE to do this sometime next summer.
  • Options
    techdudtechdud Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I live in Houston, TX. I got my login information yesterday from the university.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Let me know how you like it. That looks like a really interesting course.
    The course is offered through the VMware Academy Program. The content is the same as the regular course (taught from the same book), just spread out over a school quarter or semester. Here is more info on it:
    Academy Program

I took my course through VAP and being relatively new to VMware, I think it was way better for me than the regular course would be. There is no way I would have retained much info from a 4-day boot camp, however the same material over 10-weeks was reasonable.

There are a lot of schools participating, and more are joining constantly, but not all offer the course yet (or will ever). It's worthwhile to check if any local schools are participating and offer the course now, or will in the future.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    There are two schools close to me are like 2 hours away. If they offered it online, I would totally do it. 900 dollars is a good bit of money and I only touch vmware very lightly but why not? I think it would be a good class to take and cert to get.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are two schools close to me are like 2 hours away. If they offered it online, I would totally do it. 900 dollars is a good bit of money and I only touch vmware very lightly but why not? I think it would be a good class to take and cert to get.
    It would be a great one for you to get as if you're good at it it's money in the bank. I see a lot of high dollar jobs on the job boards for people qualified in VMWare.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    It would be a great one for you to get as if you're good at it it's money in the bank. I see a lot of high dollar jobs on the job boards for people qualified in VMWare.

Like idk, the other admin pretty much runs the virtual enviroment so I probably wouldn't get that much exposure at my current job. Security, Networking ,Linux, and virtualization are my real goals as far as my career. I think that would require me to round out my knowledge more, as far as server knowledge as I believe that most VM folks actually support the servers as well . Who knows. I will be done with school by then so we will see.
  • Options
    Well when you are closer to taking the class, check the schools again. I think the number of participants has tripled in the last year, and a local school would probably be cheaper. In any case, the UCSC Extension course is a great option if you want to do it online.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Yeah I checked the ones in the Chicago area and none of them are actually ready to put the actual in class stuff together yet. They're working on it. So online is a pretty awesome setup even if it's $1000. Yeah keep us all informed on how well it's taught like that. I'm super curious.

Edit: I was looking over that class. That's pretty awesome. It's nearly 4 months and all recorded and it allows you to go at your own pace so long as its all done by the end of December. I like the looks of this quite a bit.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Ok according to the Vmware site "The open University UK" Is part of the Vmware academy program but I cannot for the life of me figure out where I can get more info and maybe sign up, I might just be really dumb here but any chance of a second look from one of you sharp eyed folk on what I do next? :)

Participants

Do I need to fill this page out?
    Education Programs Registration
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Do I need to fill this page out?
    Education Programs Registration
    No, that is for schools who want to join the program. Students only deal with the schools participating in VAP, not with VAP directly.

Get in touch with the school to find out if or when they will offer the course. I don't see the course on the list of courses at Open University, though:
    A to Z - Courses - Open University
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In any case, the UCSC Extension course is a great option if you want to do it online.

Does anyone know if non-US residents can take this course (I'm in the UK).

If so, any ideas on how to enroll online? I got confused when I tried.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jonny72 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if non-US residents can take this course (I'm in the UK).
    I would like to know this also but never got round to contacting them. At worst I was considering using a BundleBox address if they didn't accept addresses outside the U.S.
  • Options
    jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sent them an email and they confirmed that non US residents can take the course. Just sign up through their website.
  • Options
    avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would ask also vmware if the training is recognized just to be sure.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    avlad wrote: »
    I would ask also vmware if the training is recognized just to be sure.
    If the institution is on the VMware IT Academy Program Participants list then it's a valid VMware training partner.